Juketone amps?

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Are there any owners on here? 

I am looking for a tweed champ and @JezWynd has pointed these out to me. They look like great value for money but are they any good? Importantly do they sound like a champ should? Or do they look the part but lack in the tone stakes?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I have never tried one, spoke to the chap and he sounded decent.  My only concern is I have seen what looks to me exactly the same amp online with different names and badges so I think he buys them from china rather than builds them, which is not terrible of course but worth noting.

I looked at these which I think are handmade in the UK, have never tried though.  http://www.tube-tone-engineering.co.uk/Champ_1000.html

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @munckee those look great too. Thanks for the heads up. 

The only ones I’ve ever heard have been Fender ones so I wonder if they are the same sound. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    I haven't tried so can't say, I played on a 5 watt champ built from a kit by @MtB which sounded just like my modified champ based on 5F1 circuit.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    edited October 2018
    I had a Royal Blood 10.  Can't say it sounded like anything specific as I have nothing to compare it to.   Very well put together, certainly point to point wiring, and the cabinet was OK.  I sold it, essentially, as it was too loud.  Sounded bloody good though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    munckee said:
    I have never tried one, spoke to the chap and he sounded decent.  My only concern is I have seen what looks to me exactly the same amp online with different names and badges so I think he buys them from china rather than builds them, which is not terrible of course but worth noting.

I looked at these which I think are handmade in the UK, have never tried though.  http://www.tube-tone-engineering.co.uk/Champ_1000.html

It says assembled in China on the web page, hence the low cost.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Here is another favourable review of the Juketone True Blood. They seem to look and sound the part. Price is great too.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here is another favourable review of the Juketone True Blood. They seem to look and sound the part. Price is great too.

6 posts in 4 years. 2 posts focus on the Honkin' Toms Super Chump amp and three focus on the Juketone amps. 

Hmmm...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Here is another favourable review of the Juketone True Blood. They seem to look and sound the part. Price is great too.

6 posts in 4 years. 2 posts focus on the Honkin' Toms Super Chump amp and three focus on the Juketone amps. 

Hmmm...
    Hmmm indeed. Still, the article is quite interesting. This bit caught my eye -
     Juketone has chosen a slightly less-known 6Z4 rectifier tube. The 6Z4 used in Juketone amps is a Chinese version (aka the Sino 6Z4) that is not compatible with the American rectifier valve of the same name.
    Does that mean if a new rectifier valve is needed you have to seek out a Sino 6Z4?
  • Hi all

I am the happy buyer of @rlw's Royal Blood, which in contrast to him I bought because it was quiet enough :). Sounds great to me, but I have never played an original so can't do an A/B comparison. Unlike my other amps it works well even at relatively low volumes (generally 9-10 o'clock on the volume dial, with a drive pedal), which enables me to avoid marital strife!
    I guess that the different rectifier valve must have some effect but I don't know how much. All in all though this is a great little amp. I would have thought that given the price even new you can't really go wrong. If you are near (I am in Kent) and want to try, let me know.
  • I'm good friends with Juketone, if I can pass on useful info to interested customers I don't see that as a bad thing.

Useful info like.......spare 6Z4 tubes are available direct from the website so no need to scour the net looking for a Sino.