"New" Led Zeppelin, First Listen

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited April 2014 in Music

Heard the first play on Planet Rock Radio this morning of "Good Times/Communicaton Breakdown" from the bonus disc of Led Zep 1 this morning. Live recording from Paris in '69.

Brief intro of the Good Times riff then into a breakneck version of Communication Breakdown with a nice jam at the end and a fantastic tight stop to finish.

(Some might say the solo is a bit sloppy of course).

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the show when it's released in June (I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to be buying the albums again!)

*Edit* On Spotify now as well: http://open.spotify.com/user/ledzeppelin/playlist/05tsp9zkkUtkAPfhh66UBR

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Wait until you hear the vocals on Heartbreaker.. This show was re broadcast on French radio in Dec 2007.. some sneaky Zepsters couldn't stop themselves from recording it. (basically you don't have to wait until June ;) )
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wait until you hear the vocals on Heartbreaker.. This show was re broadcast on French radio in Dec 2007.. some sneaky Zepsters couldn't stop themselves from recording it. (basically you don't have to wait until June ;) )

Cool, although personally for official releases I like to do it old school and get the physcial disc home, sit down infront of my stereo and soak it all up while flicking through the liner notes.

Hearing the odd track on the radio to wet my appetite is fine, but I'll avoid streaming the whole thing.

You only get to hear something for the first time once.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'd heard they were doing the reissues, which I found quite hard to get excited about. Didn't know about the bonus tracks though; shame you can't just buy them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts @not_the_dj ;

And I definitely agree with @EricTheWeary here 

Reissues don't generally get me excited. The best reissues I've ever heard really have been Queen/Deep Purple/Rolling Stones. :/ Soooo unless there's a shit load of original/new/unheard unreleased material that isn't just live stuff I can't really justify the asking price unfortunately.

But it's some nice packaging. They always try and get ya stung with the packaging. Ugh! :/ 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/

There are some "new" tracks aparently....although if I recall the last discusson on here about it some of those are early versions of tracks that were later released, but there is at least one that's (outside of the bootleggers) not been heard....called "La La"

Still I'll be buying the new versions. I don't actually have the seperate albums on CD as I have the two boxsets from the 90s (that across the discs have all the album tracks, just not in the right sequence).

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

But it's some nice packaging. They always try and get ya stung with the packaging. Ugh! :/ 
    I think that for the 'mature' market they are selling the packaging now. To get us to buy a cd it will come with a bonus cd or dvd or a glossy booklet or something. That there is an audience that values the object on a shelf as much as the musical content. So, you could listen on Spotify, buy it cheaper as an MP3 or download it illegally but if they make it into a nice object with bonus stuff then that's what gets us. 

In all the ( many) arguments about Joe Bonamassa and why is he more popular than a,b,c, I'm sure part of this is that whoever does Joe's marketing knows that he is hitting an audience that likes an object so all the early releases of his cd's come with bonus things.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Wisdom /\ I'm a sucker for a nice booklet with a decent essay, lots of photos and if possible a DVD I'll watch once then stick on the shelf and forget about.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

There are some "new" tracks aparently....although if I recall the last discusson on here about it some of those are early versions of tracks that were later released, but there is at least one that's (outside of the bootleggers) not been heard....called "La La"

Hmmm, and lest not forget the other unreleased tracks "Dooby Dooby Doo" and "One.. Two..  One.. Tssk.. One.. Two"

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Listen to what, Eddie?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    imalone;212937" said:
    Listen to what, Eddie?
    ;) That's a slippery slope.. one of my fav 77 shows for sure. I'm still addicted to the Europe 73 run - the Offenburg show is particularly brilliant.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited April 2014
    I'm still fighting the urge to buy King Crimson's Road to Red boxset. Yeah yeah, I know it's just a load of CDs of umpteen different versions of the same 7 tracks. But that box, it's got postcards and stuff. And it's so pretty! £125 you say? Bargain!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, the live show is the only part of these reissues I'm interested in.
    I don't want to hear barrell-scraping demos or tracks that weren't good enough to go on their album of outtakes..but I'm a sucker for the live stuff.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    probably sloopy as hell but you have to love the energy :-)
    As with stuff from this era sounds a bit thin & flat by modern recording standards but if you could capture that energy with modern methods you would probably be close to bottling lightning.

Will look forward to the full live stuff when its released