Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One guitar to rule them all?

What's Hot
stedsted Frets: 259
Is there such a thing? I've had so many over they ears and never really been able to say, yeah, that one is my grail. I guess my Landau strat is the closest but it still comes up short for heavier rock stuff.

So go on then, one guitar you have to use for everything ,cover all bases and still actually like it as an ownership experience.

Anyone says variax go stand in the corner and think about your life.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jazzmaster
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Even if there was only one to rule them all you’d still need 2 or 3 of ‘em as back ups (and different colours)  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited November 2018
    A coil tapped 335 would probably get you through most situations. 

However, if I was in a gigging covers band and wanted to try and (fairly) accurately reproduce recorded songs, and the set needed acoustic, 12 string sounds etc then I’d seriously look at a Variax. In fact I was chatting to a guy who used to do that the other day - and he spoke highly of that setup.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited November 2018
    For me it's my Esquire. Its my go to guitar- I know how to get what I want out of it.

I chose all the parts & did the finish too, so there's a strong sentimental connection there.
    The key thing is that it sounds like ME when I play it rather than slavishly copying other players tones. 

I suspect the "right" answer is a HSS Stratocaster- a fearsomely versatile instrument. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    A PRS Standard 22 with trem was that for me, for about seven years. I did have a couple of others but the Standard was my go-to for anything I played and I didn't actually need the others. It could do any sound I wanted, fitted me perfectly physically and was totally reliable. 

In the end I didn’t love it though. I wouldn’t say it had no character - in fact it did, just that it wasn’t quite what I wanted any more, after the band I mostly used it with split up. I sold it and don’t miss it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I could do almost anything (daft whammy stuff aside) on my SG, CS336, Jazzmaster or Strat, plus a half a dozen pedals. They wouldn't sound the same but they all sound like electric guitars and can all do a good spectrum of tones. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    edited November 2018
    Iamnobody said:

However, if I was in a gigging band
    Do you mean a "covers band"? 
    I front a "gigging band" and all the material is composed/arranged by me. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I think my PRS Custom 22 with its tweaked wiring and partial splits could do pretty much everything. The split bridge does a fantastic impersonation of a Tele. I know it'll go against Internet wisdom, but it currently sports Gibson Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups albeit rewired for four conductor and short-legged baseplates.

A HSS Strat would be my other choice.
  • PRS DGT?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • As already mentioned, an HSS Strat-style guitar is probably the best ‘do it all’ solution. The humbucking sounds from these aren’t in Les Paul territory but certainly fatter than a bridge single coil.

If ‘in between’ Strat sounds aren’t needed, a PRS DGT provides very convincing LP-like humbucking tones - though the single coil sounds lack the ‘chop’ and percussiveness of a bolt-on, maple neck guitar. That said, they are really versatile and are ergonomically brilliant.

If what you ‘really’ want is to nail very disparate sounds with authority - it really has to be separate guitars.  
  • A decent Telecaster with any required mod that you need (Keith style with the humbucker in the neck, Nashville, both of these). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Strat, with a hot bridge pickup and a tele knob on the volume control.   Vintage style locking tuners and well set up trem.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I only use the one guitar. I only own the one guitar and it’s seen off some pretty expensive opponents! 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    merlin said:
    Iamnobody said:

However, if I was in a gigging band
    Do you mean a "covers band"? 
    I front a "gigging band" and all the material is composed/arranged by me. 
    Yes - I did - post amended thanks. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Can't see beyond a tele, mine has a SD 1/4 pounder in the bridge and that is a stonking PUP covers a lot of bases. If even more versatility is required a Baja with its 4 way selector and S1 switching is probably the answer :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    PRS DGT?
    Actually had one of them but just didn't dig it at all, excellent guitar just never really seemed to do anything for me.
  • sted said:
    PRS DGT?
    Actually had one of them but just didn't dig it at all, excellent guitar just never really seemed to do anything for me.
    Interesting experience - I’m mainly a Strat player but I love my DGT. 
  • Im quite happy to stand in the corner and think about my life,  if you need a wide variety of sounds then there is nothing wrong with the Variax.   I like my JTV69.     However, do we really need that variation?  The audience don't notice much of a difference in the mix.   So what you need to do is seriously consider what sound you need.  We are all going to be a bit different with that so it's never going to be possible to picking guitar that meets all needs.  For me a HSS strat would probably be the one to cover 95% of options.  The only thing missing is a Tele bridge, for the "twang".  

• mortmort Frets: 719
    Groundhog Day..... Didn’t we have a thread like this only a few months ago, swiftly followed by ‘two guitars to rule them all’ and then ‘three guitars to rule them all’?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Its getting cold and wet outside gotta have something to entertain us ;)