Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One guitar to rule them all?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    sted said:
    Is there such a thing? 
    No, not that fits every player and every situation.
    A decent Telecaster with any required mod that you need ...
    Closest I can think of for what I do.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    For me it's my 3 pickup LP custom black beauty, with coil taps. I can get authentic LP rock sounds, all the way to bitey Tele-ish stuff and with the middle pickup it can quack as well as any Strat I've played.
    Oh, and a Les Trem takes care of my wobbling needs. 
    It's heavy, but no PRS can ever aspire to look as cool...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The correct answer I fear is not one of versatile but one of finding “your sound”. Think of all the famous players synonymous with one type of guitar, or even one guitar full stop - Angus Young / SRV / Hendrix / Brian May / Vai, the list goes on and on. Bet they never felt restricted by only having single coils or humbucker. The problem of trying to cover all bases is a problem of the forum bedroom player. I certainly wish I could snap out of it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I might get laughed at, but this gets pretty damn close...

Splittable humbucker in the bridge can do everything from old school country right up to Iron Maiden-type tones. Middle position is beefed up by the P90 in the neck, which makes it a pretty versatile blues machine, with great jazz cleans on demand.

At least, I've owned a lot of guitars, and that's the one that ticks more boxes than most. I think the pickup combination is as good as it gets on a 2 pickup guitar for versatility.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The versatility is always with the player.
    A pickup type does not define what you are playing, nor does the wood type or the shape of the guitar. It's all in the notes that are played.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dindude said:
    The correct answer I fear is not one of versatile but one of finding “your sound”. Think of all the famous players synonymous with one type of guitar, or even one guitar full stop - Angus Young / SRV / Hendrix / Brian May / Vai, the list goes on and on. Bet they never felt restricted by only having single coils or humbucker. The problem of trying to cover all bases is a problem of the forum bedroom player. I certainly wish I could snap out of it!
    Well said, you’ve hit the nail on the proverbial. You didn’t mention Satch and B.B. but I forgive you.   B)
  • I asked the same question last year:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110346/one-guitar-to-rule-them-all#latest

I’ve since had at least six PRS, a couple of Strats, a Les Paul, Jackson, Peavey, Duesenberg, etc.

There is no one guitar for me. But I never really use more than one. It’s just a pointless, endless quest I’m on. I think it will likely end up being a 22-fret PRS with tremolo and rosewood neck. Ideally a Modern Eagle 1 but a Quatro (again) might be it.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    A Telecaster does it for me.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited November 2018

Strat, with a hot bridge pickup and a tele knob on the volume control.   Vintage style locking tuners and well set up trem.
    a modified  CP60 by any chance ?
  • p90fool said:
    Mojo Gold Foil under a nickel cover in the neck, 498T with A3 magnet and variable coil split, home made Varitone on five-way rotary switch, master volume and tone. 

There isn't anything this guitar can't do.

http://i67.tinypic.com/301dpy1.jpg
    but does it do djent ? :-) 
  • a certain Mr Govan seems to cover a wide tonal spectrum with one guitar ... and rather well imho ...
  • Stick an evertune on a H/S/H routed Strat, buy a few pickguards with different setups, done.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    A ukulele through a Big Muff into a Marshall Stack. (Bigsby optional)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I asked the same question last year:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110346/one-guitar-to-rule-them-all#latest

I’ve since had at least six PRS, a couple of Strats, a Les Paul, Jackson, Peavey, Duesenberg, etc.

There is no one guitar for me. But I never really use more than one. It’s just a pointless, endless quest I’m on. I think it will likely end up being a 22-fret PRS with tremolo and rosewood neck. Ideally a Modern Eagle 1 but a Quatro (again) might be it.
    Six PRS in a year? Blimey!

major fail by me on finding an original thread title too!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    There's no such thing; it very much depends upon your style of playing and music.

The Strat is the nearest thing, maybe HSS, but even those are not to everybody's taste.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    dindude said:
    The correct answer I fear is not one of versatile but one of finding “your sound”. Think of all the famous players synonymous with one type of guitar, or even one guitar full stop - Angus Young / SRV / Hendrix / Brian May / Vai, the list goes on and on. Bet they never felt restricted by only having single coils or humbucker. The problem of trying to cover all bases is a problem of the forum bedroom player. 
    Speak for yourself. There are far more paid sidemen than there are rock stars - versatility is essential for most working musicians.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    p90fool said:
    dindude said:
    The correct answer I fear is not one of versatile but one of finding “your sound”. Think of all the famous players synonymous with one type of guitar, or even one guitar full stop - Angus Young / SRV / Hendrix / Brian May / Vai, the list goes on and on. Bet they never felt restricted by only having single coils or humbucker. The problem of trying to cover all bases is a problem of the forum bedroom player. 
    Speak for yourself. There are far more paid sidemen than there are rock stars - versatility is essential for most working musicians.
    Well said. If you dep, session, play in a function band etc etc then just having 'your sound' isn't going to get you far. Well, probably as far as being shown the door.
  • This one, for me anyway. Haven't touched my others since I got it a few years ago. JS1000.

Image may contain one or more people people playing musical instruments and guitar

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • p90fool said:
    dindude said:
    Yes, but they're not getting paid because they have a guitar with a bazillion tone settings.

They get paid because they're versatile, tasteful players who show up on time and don't show up drunk..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • This after dropping my springfield in for a restring and trem block replacement, I'm really thinking of doing something drastic to own this beast, a massive purge maybe? saying that I'm currently very content with my K-Line San Bernadino and Springfield