does the high e look too close to the edge of neck

What's Hot
currently having a conversation with a seller in relation to a jem and the guitar being sold is this exact one.

does the high E look too close to the neck - the high E does not dissect the bridge poll so seems slightly out, maybe being paranoidimage
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It does, certainly compared to t'other E. Be alright once you whack a punter or two with it, mind :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sent a photo to a luthier on facebook i speak to and he has said that it can be fixed - possibly putting a shim (what ever that means) in the neck pocket if there is enough play.

the guitar seems fine apart from that.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Yes, but a very small adjustment to the neck fit in the pocket will fix it.

Unusual on an Ibanez though, they're usually perfect...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited April 2014
    Its unusual for Ibanez as their neck join means the neck has a channel it slots into on the front of the body, as well as the neck pocket itself.

But should be an easy fix.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• photo's can be misleading. If I was punting on a JEM I'd want to see and play it in the flesh.

As @ICBM said, unusual to see that on an Ibanez, I'd probably hold out for a better example.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Here's my RG for comparison.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• seller has agreed to sell me a jem 70v as above for £615 delivered which seems a decent price especially if the neck wont cost to much to fix.here is the photo she sent - she seems to have broken up with her boyfriend and wants shot of his stuff (thats what she has told me) - she has sent me photos of ibanez box and receipt from richtone so everything is legit. seems a decent price for what should be a mint jem. payment by paypal so if anything goes wrong at least there is some protection.

recon its a good deal. - she has offered me the chance to go to her home to play it but she is too far away

• If it belongs to her boyfriend then it's not hers to sell. Avoid!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    What's with the saddle on the low E string? It looks like the hole is back to front compared with the others.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4986
    edited April 2014
    mart said:
    What's with the saddle on the low E string? It looks like the hole is back to front compared with the others.
    Those trems have 2 holes for intonation adjust. My JS is set up the same way
    mart said:
    The Floyd saddles have either 2 holes, or a slot for making intonation adjustments. The screws sticking out the back are for clamping the strings.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• What's wrong with saddle. She says bought it for her boyfriend few months ago. Receipt confirms this. He left her and she kept the guitar
  • What's wrong with saddle. She says bought it for her boyfriend few months ago. Receipt confirms this. He left her and she kept the guitar
    In that case, OK. See previous re: the saddle
  • Saddle seems ok
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mike_l said:
    mart said:
    The Floyd saddles have either 2 holes, or a slot for making intonation adjustments. The screws sticking out the back are for clamping the strings.
    Ok, clearly this sort of bridge is way beyond my ken. But I'm still puzzled: the actual saddle of the E string is almost in line with the saddle of the A string, much as I would expect. But that keyhole shaped hole/black patch, in front of the saddle, is the opposite way up compared to the others. 
    :-S

If anyone can explain a bit more, for the sake of my slow brain, I'd be grateful! :)
  • i can see what you mean now - the screw on the Low E does seem out of whack compared to the others. however this seems to be the case on some other images i have seen. dont know what this means
  • this is taken from ibanez's website - seems the same on here

imagethis
    mart said:

If anyone can explain a bit more, for the sake of my slow brain, I'd be grateful! :)

Hopefully that'll be a bit clearer on how it works/looks

@mart ; @sunshinewelly

All that's happened is the screw for locating the saddle is in the other hole to the other saddles, as can also be seen on the Floyd on my Jackson's high E and D strings.

It's just for the intonation, and not a more nefarious reason.

JookyChap said:
    It does, certainly compared to t'other E. Be alright once you whack a punter  Jooky or two with it, mind :)
    There corrected, now any more mischief, and you'll be made to play red Strats forevermore......