LPJ DCs , SCs and JMs

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

Last week I got a call from David Dyke to let me know my Honduras Mahogany was ready to collect, this is the mahogany I make my Les Paul necks from. It’s also what David cuts up for acoustic guitar necks, the planks are nearly 4 metres long and 600mm wide, they should be just over 100mm thick, but these planks are about 135mm thick.  As David only needs the Mahogany to be 100mm thick. He cuts off the extra 35mm. this off cut is perfect for the way I make my Les Paul necks. Although I buy the off cut it still costs many hundreds of pounds.

These are some of the mahogany planks,  I should get about 30  three-piece quarter sawn Les Paul necks from these planks, plus 6 Jazzmaster neck.

The first necks, ready to be glued.

First 4 necks glued up, head veneers on truss rods in, now waiting for the fingerboard's to be glued on. 

Some of the LPJs 's waiting for their necks, the 2 bodies in the front are going to be LP studios, they have really pretty fiddle back caps.  

More on the LPJs and the start of the JM builds soon.

While I was at David's and I also sorted through about 60 planks of Swamp Ash ready for next year with the help of his man Glenn. It's now becoming difficult to find good quality lightweight Swamp Ash at sensible price. Out of the 60 planks removed from storage I would say only 3 could be classed as lightweight. Really not a great believer in using lightweight Swamp Ash for Stratocaster's or Telecaster's, I think anything between 4 1/2lb and just under 5lb is about the right weight. I do have keep some lightweight in stock, as some customers insist on having super lightweight bodies.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Those look great!
    But I guess now would be a bad time to ask about getting a jazz bass?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    The first few necks ready to be glued to the bodies.

The necks being glued in.

The first 4 LPJs finished, 3 DCs and 1 SC.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited November 2018
    tidy as fook as usual. if I had any £ I'd ask you to make me A nice strat neck with no fret markers (my first effort is going slowly lol ) astonished  
      loving those dcs 
  • Graham are these all for order or are you warming us up for Black Friday LOL
  • I love these threads from @GSPBASSES  ;
    It's a pleasure to watch these fantastic materials being transformed into beautiful instruments by a talented individual.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Graham are these all for order or are you warming us up for Black Friday LOL
    A bit of both, there may be some juniors in the sale, but this year I think it's going to be mainly Starts's, with a some "B" grade jazzmaster's and of course some Teles. They might even be a couple of PRS Swamp Ash specials. 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Strats & Swamp Ash PRS’s you say ? 

Its starting to look a tad Spartan under the Xmas tree for the kids this year....
    tFB Trader
    I love these threads from @GSPBASSES  ;
    It's a pleasure to watch these fantastic materials being transformed into beautiful instruments by a talented individual.
    Flattery will get you anywhere.