My guitar wont stay in tune.

What's Hot
My guitar is a Gretsch electronica jet,i tune it in,practice some chords and scales for 5 minutes and then the tuning is out.Iv'e only owened the guitar a few weeks,is there such a thing as a service for a guitar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Best thing you can do with any Guitar is have it set up by a very good Guitar Tech in your area. Even some American Fenders and Gibsons need a proper set up when new. I have all mine set up even if I think they are OK and I can tell the difference is massive in a good way.

Could be the nut just needs tweaking or some other minor adjustment that someone qualified will spot very quickly. Usually the frets will benefit from a quick dress.

Where are you? There will be plenty of folk on here who can recommend someone near you.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • I'm guessing you have a badly cut nut or something is up with the condition of the strings
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, but before you go any further, how are you stringing and tuning it?

You should be fitting the strings to the tuning posts with the minimum number of wraps, pulled tight and even - there's more than one method of doing it, but you should never have more than about 2-3 turns on the post at most - the strings should be wound onto the tuner posts from the middle of the headstock, and wound on with the tuning key not by wrapping the string around the post by hand. You should stretch the strings fully before tuning up, and when you tune you only tune *up* to the note. Anything else, start with that as the most likely cause.

If it's not the stringing or tuning, the next most likely cause is the nut, followed by the bridge, and in rare cases the machineheads themselves... but that's unusual.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, I think I started one step ahead. Do what @ICBM says first, although all Guitars benefit from a set up, if you can get away with correcting it first then that's better and cheaper :)

This is a good method of stringing on a 3 per side headstock. I'm sure @ICBM will agree.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Bellycaster said:

This is a good method of stringing on a 3 per side headstock. I'm sure @ICBM will agree.
    I prefer the half-back-turn and lock-under method, but that one is a good second option.

I do it like this...

Once you get the hang of it this is the quickest, most secure and most tuning stable method of all.

NB, this is not 'tying' the string to the post - there is no knot, the loose end is just trapped under the main part of the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, but before you go any further, how are you stringing and tuning it?

You should be fitting the strings to the tuning posts with the minimum number of wraps, pulled tight and even - there's more than one method of doing it, but you should never have more than about 2-3 turns on the post at most - the strings should be wound onto the tuner posts from the middle of the headstock, and wound on with the tuning key not by wrapping the string around the post by hand. You should stretch the strings fully before tuning up, and when you tune you only tune *up* to the note. Anything else, start with that as the most likely cause.

If it's not the stringing or tuning, the next most likely cause is the nut, followed by the bridge, and in rare cases the machineheads themselves... but that's unusual.
    I bought it off a well seasoned guitarist,it's strung propperly.I don't know how old the strings are so i'm gonna change them in a minute,i'll see if that works.Thanks for the info.ps I tuned it with the tuner on a line six pocket pod,i also have a HU-5 PIGGY tuner.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Kerplunk said:
    My guitar is a Gretsch electronica jet,i tune it in,practice some chords and scales for 5 minutes and then the tuning is out.Iv'e only owened the guitar a few weeks,is there such a thing as a service for a guitar.
    I'm a Gretsch fanboy.  I know a thing or two about keeping them in tune.

Quick questions - which model is it?   Pro Jet, Special Jet  - Filtertrons or Gretschbuckers......and does it have a Bigsby?  If it does, then it'll be a Bigsby B50 which I hate with a passion (but love once properly sorted).

Let me know, we'll work it out from there.

Cheers

Marlin
  • TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Quick questions - which model is it?   Pro Jet, Special Jet  - Filtertrons or Gretschbuckers......and does it have a Bigsby?  If it does, then it'll be a Bigsby B50 which I hate with a passion (but love once properly sorted).

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin
    it's this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretch-Jet-Club-Guitar-With-Bigsby-Tremolo-Unit/123406701344?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 .

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited November 2018
    burn it. only solution rly

in all seriousness the guys have noted all the places to start 

is it anywhere with huge temperature variance? 
  • MLten80 said:
    Why do you say that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kerplunk said:
    MLten80 said:
    Why do you say that.
    I think it's an oblique reference to true temperament.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Kerplunk said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin

TheMarlin said:
    Kerplunk said:

Cheers

Marlin
    it's this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretch-Jet-Club-Guitar-With-Bigsby-Tremolo-Unit/123406701344?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 .

OK. Three things to note about this guitar.  

Early versions had a  completely solid body, later versions (around 2008) were chambered, and weighed a lot less.  
    The pickups in there are pretty boring.  They sound nothing like regular Gretsch pickups, they have a generic humbucker tone, they're not particularly good.  The good news is that Soapbar P90's will drop in with little bother, and most pickup manufacturers make all types of pickups in soapbar mount.  Filtertrons in soapbar mount sound great, as there is no metal case to interfere with the magnetic field.  Mojo offer a great range.

Tuning.  There are three things that can affect the tuning.  The tuners are just OK on this guitar but are unlikely to be the cause. However, most owners of this model swap them out for better quality tuners. 

The nut is a common problem.  Gretsch install hollow plastic nuts that grip strings like brake pads. You have to make sure the nut is properly cut and lubed, Also pay close attention to the back of the nut.  Strings enter the nut at sharp angles, you need to smooth off the sharp edges, and lube the back of the nut so the strings do not bind at the contact points.

The other issue is the Bigsby B50.  The problem is the break angle from the back of the bridge into the tension bar on the B50.  The B50 has a plastic bearing, and under the pressure from the strings, it doesn't move. This is a major source of tuning issues.

However, help is at hand.  You need one of these - a tuning stabilizer. https://bricksbiggsfix.com/product/btsv3/

It'll relieve the break angle, fix the tuning issues, and nake a huge difference to the feel and operation of the Bigsby,  It transforms it from stiff detuning device into a buttery smooth fantastic Bigsby.  I have three of these fitted to various Bigsby's around the house.

Cheers

Marlin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Use pencil lead to line the nut grooves.  It's an excellent low friction material.   Just remove the strings and rub a sharp pencil in the a few times. 

Make sure you properly stretch the new strings after fitting,  often they need lots of stretching before they settle. 
  • This place is painful sometimes.

OP hasn't got round to putting new strings on it yet and he's being told to buy new parts for the trem, a new nut, and new tuners. 

First thing to do @Kerplunk is to put new strings on it. String it properly (watch the videos above) and make sure you stretch them in. New strings will go out of tune a little bit at first but they should soon stabilise.

If new strings doesn't fix it then you can begin to think about whether it needs a setup or whether more drastic measures are needed. Don't go throwing money at it without trying the simple things first. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Gretsch fanboy here.

* Change strings, put recommended gauge on , I reckon 10s

* Is the 12th fret, in tune with open string?

* are the strings sitting nicely in the nut and bridge/tremelo?

* what condition is the nut in? usually the culprit

* tune up, is the first fret on the fat E an F?? is the third fret a G?? I don't mean close I mean SPOT ON

* if all above is ok it's the tuners 

it's gonna be one of the above

• Agreed.  A year ago a string on my Les Paul would not tune.  Like, nothing, would not hold a note. One day it was fine, then this, I thought the tuner was gone. Never experienced that before.

New strings, sorted.
  • Great advice,thanks.What do you think of this,i might buy it.Its only down the road from me.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Les-Paul-Epiphone-SG-G-400-Custom-Ivory-Marshall-Amp/232983249911?hash=item363ee243f7:g:YtAAAOSwaIpb1W5s:rk:7:pf:0

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Tuning instability with Gretsch guitars is often one of those 'feature, not a bug' scenarios.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited November 2018
    OP - that's nothing - my guitar gently weeps...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    i tune it in, practice some chords and scales for 5 minutes and, then, the tuning is out.
    Do you rest your picking hand on either the bridge or the licensed Bigsby vibrato? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.