Glasgow boys

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
You from the toon? Who is your guitar tech in Glasgow,who would you recommend and trust to do a great job?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Aye, but I do all my own stuff, what do you need doing?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    dbphoto said:
    Aye, but I do all my own stuff, what do you need doing?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/143608/fret-buzz#latest

tae be or not tae be
    edited November 2018
    Happy to have a look and see if there is something you might have missed, but only confident enough to do any fret work on one of my own guitars!

I’m in the Southside by the way.
    cheers DP....
    tae be or not tae be
  • John Phillips at "Strung Out" in the Merchant City is superb; has worked on my guitars for over 25 years and cannot praise him highly enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Where was he before STRUNG OUT?
    tae be or not tae be
    edited November 2018
    Heard good things about the guitar tech at Strung Out, as well as Jimmy Egypt.
    edited November 2018
    tae be or not tae be
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Yep, Jimmy Egypt or Jimmy Moon

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2362

Does Jimmy Moon still do electrics?  I thought he had moved away from the Soutside and was only doing acoustics now?

I live in Aberdeen now, by the way...

Acoustics and mandolins only now I believe and still in the Southside.

Since moving to Glasgow 6 years ago I pass by pretty much on a daily basis, but have never felt the urge to visit for some reason.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I work on my own guitars normally. Jimmy Egypt's shop seems good and busy last time I was there and the man himself friendly and helpful. ICBM is a top repairist par excellence as well.

My chum Grant at Ragh Guitar in Stewarton would sort this out too if you had transport/ time available to drop them off. 

Cheers
    Hugh 

www.proudhoney.com

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’d vouch for the team @ Strung Out too
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Thought @ICBM worked at Strung Out?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    gusman2x said:
    Thought @ICBM worked at Strung Out?
    I do. I’m not actually the guitar tech - although I do guitar work elsewhere too - but I can vouch for the others who work there. At Strung Out I just do amps and pedals usually, although if it’s something I have more experience with - mainly active electronics, or some more unusual trem systems - then they give it to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I vouch for ICBM and I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon"

^^why is that?
  • DavyDavy Frets: 10
    I highly recommend Ian @ The Guitar Workshop in Finnieston. He made a lovely job of a stainless re-fret on my acoustic. He also builds incredibly beautiful acoustic guitars. I've been less than impressed by Jimmy Egypt's place but it wasn't actually Jimmy that worked on my guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited November 2018
    "I recommend avoiding Jimmy Moon"

^^why is that?
    I took my SG to him for a setup. The first thing he did was pick it up and look it over, and promptly bashed the headstock off the shop counter. When I went back to collect it, they had overtightened the screws on the truss rod cover and cracked both of the mounting holes. When I pointed that out to them, they tried to insist I take a generic flat black plastic replacement, even though they had genuine Gibson ones for sale hanging behind the counter. I had to be fairly robust to persuade them to replace with like for like at their cost. In general there was an air of contempt for the customer that made me very uncomfortable.

After all of that, the setup wasn't really particularly special (the only proof they'd done anything was the cracked truss rod cover ) and overall I wasn't impressed. To be fair though, this was quite a while ago and it was Jimmy himself who I was dealing with. Still, they had their chance with me and as far as i'm concerned they were terrible

ICBM has done much better work for me.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I’m not all that knowledgeable with guitar stuff, but Jimmy Egypt did a great set up and nut replacement on my SG and a first class re-fret on my Dad’s old Yamaha something or other. Great guys too. Would definitely recommend them and next time I need anything done that’s where I’m going. He does seem very busy though, but that’s a good sign.