Vigier... changing pickups...Arrrrrgh

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224

I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has changed a humbucker in a Vigier Excalibur before.  I’m having a hard time getting this done – rejected by 2 of my local techs because the Vigier has 3 screws for each humbucker. 

They say it’ll be a nightmare to try and drill an extra hole in one of the pickup legs.

Has anyone done this with a degree  of success?  I’ve just got myself a sexy Bareknuckle Holy Diver and I’m itching to get it fitted :(

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I havent done it, like my Vigier the way it is but as you say you would either need to drill and tap new mounting holes in the pickup base plate, or drill a new hole in the scratchplate.  Neither would be a big job
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    I havent done it, like my Vigier the way it is but as you say you would either need to drill and tap new mounting holes in the pickup base plate, or drill a new hole in the scratchplate.  Neither would be a big job
    I’d either add another hole to the pick guard or get another pick guard made ( if you were worried about re sale in the future). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited November 2018
    I was intrigued by what the problem was here, and looking at some pictures it does seem that there might not be much metal either side of the existing mounting hole on the lug to drill two more that lined up with those in the pick guard. Drilling a third hole in the pick guard to line up with the one on the mounting lug would seem to be an even worse idea.

Might it not instead be possible to make up a small adapter plate? This could be fitted to the lug of the new pickup with a single screw from below, with two holes being drilled in the top of the plate to take the twin mounting screws. There would be limited adjustment but, by using mounting screws of just the right length, this might not be a problem.

Just an idea!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Looking at pics of the Vigier and a Bareknuckle pickup, it looks to me like the pickup's baseplate is wide enough to have the two extra holes drilled in it - the Vigier screw spacing is quite close together. Drilling and tapping two small screw holes is not a big job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    At least you've got a list of techs that are crap now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224

Thanks guys,

I opened her up when I got home last night and took a good look at the currently installed pickup.  It has a small metal plate with 2 holes for those screws.  This plate is screwed to one of the pickup legs.

I can remove the plate and attach it to the new pickup, and use the holes in the plate to line where to drill the holes in the bareknuckle.

My next question is a little embarrassing… I’ve never tapped a hole (fnar fnar) in my life – is it easy?  I’m cack-handed with practical stuff, but if it’s a simple job that I can do with my old black & decker and a regular drill bit then I’ll have a go.  

Or should I just get a tech to do it…?

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • delorean said:
    I opened her up when I got home last night and took a good look at the currently installed pickup.  It has a small metal plate with 2 holes for those screws.  This plate is screwed to one of the pickup legs.
    Ha! That did seem to be the most obvious way of doing it!

As to tapping the hole, you will need a sharp bit and take care to keep things square, but a suitable hole (if needed) can easily be drilled by hand. That said you will still need to use a drill bit of the right size for the intended thread, which is likely to be a non-standard size, plus a tap to cut the threads. Here is a table of standard tap drill sizes.

• John_A said:
    But wouldn't a Vigier be likely to use metric threads? If the original screws are metric and an imperial tap is used, then new screws will also have to be obtained.  (If only the whole word had adopted the metric standard - how much simpler things would be!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

But wouldn't a Vigier be likely to use metric threads?
    Given that they're made in France, I would be very surprised if they weren't M2.5 or M3.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

But wouldn't a Vigier be likely to use metric threads?
    Given that they're made in France, I would be very surprised if they weren't M2.5 or M3.
    Pretty sure not, they come standard with Dimarzio pickups, 

Good point though, if you have them out try the BK screws which are imperial