Unwanted adjacent string noise bending

What's Hot
BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3321
edited November 2018 in Guitar
OK my technique is not great i know. I cannot stop eg the D string ringing when say bending the b at the 15th fret i always strike it just before i bend down.  Aside from 'You're shit' any helpful ideas ?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    What ya mean? Do you mean you're catching the open D string before you pick the B string 15th fret then bending the B string up? 

If so its just a matter of picking accuracy. 

The 15th fret of the B is the note of D, I think that might make the open D ring sympathetically if its not muted.. I think.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Damping is the issue. I’d struggle to explain how I do it as it’s just intuitive now - but using the heel of you right hand to mute unwanted strings is the trick. A lot of electric playing is about avoiding unwanted sounds in my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys yes the bent B hits the d at the apex of the bend and sounds it - Richard yes i need wrist/palm mute i guess
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Sometimes I notice this when the action is too low. Not sure why
  • I have noticed this too, not because of actually picking the string, but because on a full-tone bend the next string will also be bent upwards slightly, and so will ring when the bend is released. I guess damping is the answer, but I have yet to work out the best way of doing this, especially when playing relatively quickly.
  • I have noticed this too, not because of actually picking the string, but because on a full-tone bend the next string will also be bent upwards slightly, and so will ring when the bend is released. I guess damping is the answer, but I have yet to work out the best way of doing this, especially when playing relatively quickly.
    Relatively quickly for me is....................... ...this......................fast..................
    You can use various ‘spare’ right-hand fingers to block out unwanted strings. As I said in my earlier post - I find it hard to explain as it’s habitual. If you use humbuckers with gain, it becomes more of an issue than if you use a clean tone.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Keep practicing. 

Seriously, I promise this will go away the more you prelactice bends. I used to be super kack handed with bending, it was like getting cought in a barbed wire fence every time I bent the G string. 

It still happens occasionally but it is a lot rarer. 
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    edited November 2018
    I do most of my string muting with my left hand, using either my thumb over the top or my other fingers.

A really useful thing I learned way back when I first started playing is to be able to strum all six strings while using your left hand to mute all of them except the one you want to play. It’s a technique used by guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix and Wilko Johnson.