Sorted: electronics hum/buzz

FriskyDingoFriskyDingo Frets: 18
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
So I have tele kit where I have installed two high gain single coils, (Seymour duncan quarter pounder and oil city liquidator) I expected some noise but its really noisy!
It quietens down when I touch the switch panel but becomes louder when I touch the bridge plate or strings.
What haven't I grounded or soldered wrong? 
More pics available if needed
yellow is neck/white is bridge. 
2nd problem is the bridge pickup is not bright nearly as dark as the neck. Is that out of phase? 
Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    First problem - the bridge is not grounded.

Second problem - it may just be the pickup, the wiring looks OK. Or sort of :). Personally, I would replace that total junk switch with a CRL, and make a neater job of the wiring to it ;). But that shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Shielding tape on the control plate is also totally unnecessary! It's made of metal anyway. Although I don't think it will do any harm...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've put some wire between the bridge plate and the bridge capacity and some copper tape underneath the bridge and in the cavity. Is it not connecting? 
    I know the wiring isn't great I done some of it but not all

I've put some wire between the bridge plate and the bridge capacity and some copper tape underneath the bridge and in the cavity. Is it not connecting?
    You need to connect the shielding to the control cavity - either to the back of the volume pot or the other shielding. On vintage Teles it's done via the bridge pickup baseplate and the height screws being connected to the ground wire for the pickup, but if your pickup doesn't have a baseplate you need a separate wire. Even if it does, the screws can sometimes make poor contact, it's not an ideal method.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Will that involve another copper wire or any wire from the base plate to volume pot? Not sure about screw height 
    Will that involve another copper wire or any wire from the base plate to volume pot? Not sure about screw height 
    All you need is a wire from the back of the volume pot, which is trapped between the bridgeplate and the body. Or alternatively, solder it to the shielding if that also contacts the bottom of the bridge.

I had a look at the pics of the Liquidator on the Oil City website and there's no baseplate, so no connection via the height screws.

• Put in some copper wire, far better now, thanks. Just have to sort string and pick up height