Relics - a serious question

What's Hot
HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
I was at the Thirsk Guitar Fair last week and saw a guy wandering round with a knackered old guitar case. I was immediately dying to know what was in it (it was a '66 Les Paul).

But it got me thinking. How come relic guitars still come in lovely shiny cases? Wouldn't people prefer them if they came in a case that was similarly beaten up? Or are firms doing this already and I'm behind the curve? Maybe  I should make some and get on Dragon's Den...

This isn't a pisstake about relics or an invitation to debate their worthiness. Think that's been done to death.
"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    You could chuck it down some really long stairs?

I'm watching the remembrance commemorations and Elizabeth tower currently has a staircase all the way up in the scaffolding, that would do it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    A '66 Les Paul? Don't think so.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Brize said:
    Or so I was told. Unlikely, granted...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited November 2018
    I'm sure I remember a peach video where they show reliced Gibson cases for some instruments. 

To be honest though you only have to look at the lifton ones the wrong way to start the process off 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I age my tweed cases for full builds. Not majorly, just enough and no more.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    Hattigol said:
    Brize said:
    I didn't see it but was told before the show that someone was going to bring in a 68 LP - I forgot about it until you mentioned this blog

Ref aged cases - valid point and I don't know why - I've seen some aged by customers, but can't recall any factory aged
    Ref aged cases - valid point and I don't know why - I've seen some aged by customers, but can't recall any factory aged
    The aged 'True Historic' Les Pauls came with factory-aged cases:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/new-gibson-custom-shop-aged-true-historic-cases
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    What does a reliced case look like - a few scrapes or...

3/4 of the hinges completely corroded and fucked and so cardboard thin that it offers zero protection for your £5k guitar.

For that reason I won’t be investing!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/new-gibson-custom-shop-aged-true-historic-cases
    I'd forgotten about these, but when I was typing my comment I had a Fender head on me
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

I'm watching the remembrance commemorations and Elizabeth tower currently has a staircase all the way up in the scaffolding, that would do it.
    No, you give it to the Manchester Airport baggage handlers.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    fandango said:

I'm laughing :) ...but it ain't funny for those folk who really have had their luggage and instruments wrecked by baggage handlers :p
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Voxman said:
    fandango said:

I'm laughing :) ...but it ain't funny for those folk who really have had their luggage and instruments wrecked by baggage handlers :p
    I wouldn’t worry - mine do it on their own on the stand in the house with nobody about!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    What does a reliced case look like - a few scrapes or...

3/4 of the hinges completely corroded and fucked and so cardboard thin that it offers zero protection for your £5k guitar.

For that reason I won’t be investing!
    As is the case with any ageing I do... it’s all cosmetic. No actual structural damage is done 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Brize said:

Only since 2016 though. My 2013 CC10 has a pristine brown case and I did always find that a little amusing...
  • Hattigol said:
    Brize said:
    Sounds like the guy who offered me a 1948 Telecaster....
    Whitecat said:

Only since 2016 though. My 2013 CC10 has a pristine brown case and I did always find that a little amusing...
    Yep, your guitar isn't a True Historic model - that line was launched in 2015.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1421
    I’m sure it probably was a 68 Les Paul (not a 66), but are 66 SGs called Les Pauls still or did they stop doing that by then?
    hyperben said:
    I’m sure it probably was a 68 Les Paul (not a 66), but are 66 SGs called Les Pauls still or did they stop doing that by then?
    No, dropped much earlier than that - early '63, I think.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Brize said:
    Whitecat said:

Yep, your guitar isn't a True Historic model - that line was launched in 2015.
    Ah yeah of course - my brain was conflating TH with Collector’s Choice in that moment... :trollface: 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I have aged a few cases... the only real way to get that “relic” look is to freeze it tbh... you get that lovely lacquer checking that you only see on proper vintage cases.

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom