Reverend Guitars... Now NGD

What's Hot
stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Any thoughts?
I've been offered one in a trade, but have never even seen one in the flesh before.
It's a Jetstream 390. 

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/jetstream-390

https://www.guitar.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x400/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/reverend-jetstream-390-oceanside-green.jpg

I've read reviews suggesting it's like a "beefy"Strat & have seen very little criticism of them- mostly to do with a cap attached to the jack, but that's easily fixed. 

I LIKE P90s & like idiosyncratic guitars so it could be a good fit, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any strong opinions on them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a Charger 290. Just 2 P90s. Nothing bad to say about the guitar. I just had too much gas and moved it on. Would definitley consider one again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5786
    My personal experience of all reverends is that you won’t know what you’re going to get until you play it. They are all built well and just work but while some feel fabulous, others are just completely cold and lifeless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I think they look gorgeous, but I'm yet to try one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    If you do get it, the cap on the jack can be tricky to see - it's small and tucked in tightly so at first it isn't obvious there is one.

My personal experience is still that with it removed, and even with better pickups, they're just rather ordinary. Well-made but not very distinctive or interesting despite the slightly unconventional appearance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’m a big fan of the Reverend P90s. I have a shell pink Jetstream which is great. The Rev bass contour is also great, but I prefer the G&L bass cut. I may rewire mine with it. 

The Wilkinson trem is almost impossible to get out of tune. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5402
    I recently bought one off @sweepy and I'm starting to get to grips with it now, having essentially been a dual humbucker man for the last <cough> years.

For the money (that I paid sweepy, not new ticket price) it's a cracking guitar and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely makes me think about playing different things (in fact, learning different things), and you get five very distinct voicings form each position.  Tone control has a nice sweep, and the bass contour thing is quite funky.

My biggest problem at the moment (apart from my inept playing) is that it gives too many options, so I'm still at the "fiddling with all the controls" stage to find all the right noises for the right uses.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I have a Sensei Jr, I love the concept and design of them so wanted to scratch the itch - but the guitar itself was underwhelming. Well made but had bridge rattle and the finish was plasticky. Neck was a bit generic in its shape. Worst of all it was just a bit tone-less. This was me not listening to my own hunch - if anyone can point to any video demo of a Reverend that sounds really great - I couldn’t find one, and yes I know it’s youtube but I’m a firm believer in a useful theme coming through if there are enough varied videos available.
  • Finish can be a bit "Korean" nice designs though. Had one that unfortunately had a too wide & skinny neck.
  • https://i.imgur.com/SUQBpV3.jpg

I’m waiting for this to come out so I can not afford it rather than not being able to afford a standard model. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3428
    edited November 2018
    I have an RG2 that I find easy to play and generally solid. I do find it a bit generic *but* recordings I have of it - especially with gain -  sound great to my ear. The two point Wilkinson trem is good fun, the frets are huge and I had a Sustainiac fitted so generally it’s a great fun rock guitar.

Ive also had and returned a Spacehawk which has some minor finish issues, but I mainly returned it as it was too bassy for me. I’ve played a few other RG2s that had less-good fretwork too. Tried a few of the baritones and liked them a lot so if one comes up at a good price I’ll probably buy.

Generally I think they’re decent guitars but some are better than others. I bought mine a few years back when they were really great value; now they’re creeping up in price to the next level. I’d still rather have a Rev than a Duesenberg though.,,
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    I had a PA-1 that I had to sell when out of work. That was a great guitar. But, Reverends can be variable. Generally, great guitars though!
    https://i.imgur.com/SUQBpV3.jpg

I’m waiting for this to come out so I can not afford it rather than not being able to afford a standard model. 

That is all kinds of gorgeous.
  • Tenebrous said:

I meant to say, if it’s not apparent from the Gristle King pedal, it’s the Greg Koch sig model. His Fishman pickups ( the little button accesses two voices) and the neck to his preferred shape. 
    Yeh, I think the asthetics are really well done. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Tenebrous said:

I meant to say, if it’s not apparent from the Gristle King pedal, it’s the Greg Koch sig model. His Fishman pickups ( the little button accesses two voices) and the neck to his preferred shape. 
    Yeh, I think the asthetics are really well done. 
    Ahh now I'm doubly interested. Greg is a killer player, and that is just a beautiful guitar... I wonder how much it'll be. £1100-1200 given the pickups? Would be a pretty tough sell for an Indonesian guitar, though.
  • So it's now a NGD thread. 
    I'm now in possession of a Reverend Jetstream 390. 
    I've only had it 30mins, the previous owner just left. 

First impressions-
    It's beautifully put together. No flaws at all. 
    Hardware seems excellent- locking tuners, Wilkinson trem & smooth pots etc. 
    Looks great. MrsLostSon approves of the colour & shape. 
    Sounds great- I'm a big fan of P90 pickups & this has 3! 
    The bass roll off gives a great deal of tonal versatility, it goes to Strat territory with the roll off fully on. 
    Lastly the neck! It's wonderful. Satin baked maple. The profile may be a bit generic, but it's instantly familiar of you've played a Fender. 

If I had to make a comparison I'd say it reminds me of a high end Yamaha- good components, immaculate fit & finish, easy to play etc. I just have to see if the characterful exterior translates to the rest of the guitar. 

I'll report back when I've had it a while, but I think it'll be a while before I work out how to get "my" sounds out of it due to the unique controls .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried a couple a few years ago. They don't sound how they look necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    I've got a dual humbucker Manta Ray which I've added a Les Trem II to. It's my go to guitar, especially when playing at band volume.
  • Had a wee jam using it today. 
    The miss are REALLY pronounced. More so than my wee SG Jr. 
    I need to experiment to get the P90s to snarl. 

I'm going to take that cap out tonight. 
    Sounds awesome. Happy NGD!
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Had a wee jam using it today. 
    The miss are REALLY pronounced. More so than my wee SG Jr. 
    I need to experiment to get the P90s to snarl. 

I'm going to take that cap out tonight. 
    If it’s a newish guitar, there probably is no cap across the output jack.