Jazzmaster Upgrades

What's Hot
jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 284
edited November 2018 in Guitar

So, my '04 JM66b is feeling kind of tired. It needs some lovin' and I've decided to pump some money into it. I wonder if you folks can pelt some of your advice at my face.

1. The frets are shagged, I can hear their choked up agonal breathing in spots on the neck. I'll be gettin' a refret from a luthier soon enough (anyone know a good one in Paris?). I'm guessing I opt for vintage sized frets?

2. Recommendations on a new nut? Have one cut by aforementioned luthier?

3. Pickguards, I want to go back Tort. I'm guessing Spitfire? Any EU alternatives of similar quality?

4. Tuners, tuners, tuners. What're the top dogs?

5. Anyone got a lead on some tasty white witch-hat knobs?

6. Embarrassing question but.. see there's a trem screw missing? What.. kind of screw do I need?

7. String tree has been absolutely fucked, it looks like a poorly seagull. I mean, it's just a string tree, right? But still.. recommendations?

It's already equipped with a Staytrem bridge, Staytrem arm & collet and Jess Loureiro pickups.

What would you guys add to breathe life into this guitar? I love how it feels but I feel like it just needs some replenishment in certain areas to make it sing, I want it to be a lifelong guitar.

Thanks in advance!

--

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Why not pop an anodised guard on it and go a bit more old school in the look? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Can maybe help with a couple of your questions.  Below is my originally fecked and now serially modded JM with its resplendent Spitfire guard.  Love love love it but it turned into the most expensive piece of plastic in the history of ever after import VAT and all the rest of it. 

As for witch hats, they seem to go for astonishing amounts of money, but these seem to be about the best value for a pair of new ones.

String tree I got a Mastery one, to match my bridge and trem.

Keep us posted with the refit!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not pop an anodised guard on it and go a bit more old school in the look? 
    I’ve actually thought that, I just think they miss that trim, know what I mean? The tort guards have that silky white trim that makes it pop nicely. God I’m shallow. 

JerkMoans said:
    Can maybe help with a couple of your questions.  Below is my originally fecked and now serially modded JM with its resplendent Spitfire guard.  Love love love it but it turned into the most expensive piece of plastic in the history of ever after import VAT and all the rest of it. 

As for witch hats, they seem to go for astonishing amounts of money, but these seem to be about the best value for a pair of new ones.

String tree I got a Mastery one, to match my bridge and trem.

Keep us posted with the refit!

Hot damn that’s beautiful, happy to have pumped all the money into it? Think the Spitfire guards are worth it? I have the regular JM66b tort guard here, could always pop that on but.. not as nice. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Hot damn that’s beautiful, happy to have pumped all the money into it? Think the Spitfire guards are worth it? I have the regular JM66b tort guard here, could always pop that on but.. not as nice. 
    Heh: thank you.  Happy?  Yeah I reckon so.  It looks the business, and plays better :D  And I knew the cost of the parts as I was getting them (in fact the bridge, trem and pups were all used 'finds' on FleaBay and similar). 

Would I get another Spitfire? Equivocal.  They're beautiful - probably the best there is, but as we all know, v expensive.  Then again, when putting one's dream concept together - particularly when it all works out - there's no point in moaning (too much) about cost to the detriment of actually just loving what you've got.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I’d worry about the re-fret and nut before anything else. Those might be enough to make it really click for you. 

I got witch hats from Reverb for mine. Those Hotrox ones look about the usual price. They’re never cheap.

And if you want a good pickguard, get an old
    one...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'd second getting an old guard rather than a Spitfire. I have a Spitfire and they are very much their own thing - they don't look like old guards - they look like funky modern guards - fine for my application which is not a vintage replica. I got mine secondhand but it still cost over £100 which is too much. The retail price when you factor in shipping and tax is just daft. 

Here is mine  - on the left obv!

• Thanks for everyone’s input! Gonna give this a little bump as I’m ready to order a big pile of parts and finally get this fucker up to snuff.