GASaholics (not-quite) Anonymous

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Ah, but the chase continues once the modding begins! Each replaced part brings another wave of GASsy endorphins! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    frankus said:
    I remember reading a book about marketting and it said that the thrill of shopping is all in the hunt and final chase - once you've got nyeah f*ck it... knowing that (and the fact that most shopping is self-comforting - so better to find real comfort) makes most purchases a bit less sparkly. :)
    Most of my Kawais don't get played from one year to the next, but they were a conscious completist collection quest.

However, I have others that are similarly neglected (fine guitars all) that I can't explain or excuse in the same way.  They were "bargains" or were something I always wanted to try/play/have, and it's always been easier to buy than to sell.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I work away a lot and hotel boredom sets in so after a few glasses of red full on gas strikes to fill the time

2 out , 5 in this year so far . I'm currently 2 above my allowance , not including the classical and the one I have hidden in the loft....

Currently negotiating for a vintage 3x5. Haven't gigged for 20 years I barely need one guitar , but I find them beautiful and one day when I get me a time machine I'll be needing all this gear to go re-record some records the old band did :-/ that and if Lerxst ever needs a stand in .
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    TTony said:
    frankus said:
    I remember reading a book about marketting and it said that the thrill of shopping is all in the hunt and final chase - once you've got nyeah f*ck it... knowing that (and the fact that most shopping is self-comforting - so better to find real comfort) makes most purchases a bit less sparkly. :)
    Most of my Kawais don't get played from one year to the next, but they were a conscious completist collection quest.

However, I have others that are similarly neglected (fine guitars all) that I can't explain or excuse in the same way.  They were "bargains" or were something I always wanted to try/play/have, and it's always been easier to buy than to sell.

I'm close to lending out bits of kit to trusted mates in exchange for free tickets to gigs :)

just not from the posh-board, I've not got that alturistic just yet :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I certainly have the compulsive side of it, I justify to myself it by buying "bargains" and kinda hide it from my wife. This tells me I'm probably over the edge if I need to conceal it, even though I've been given permission! With the prices I paid for some of them they're not really worth selling and the ones that are I'm going to keep. It's only the Gibbo and Wesley Vee that I could really get anything for.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have no wife/gf to hide things from (this may be to my advantage)

basses 2; acoustics 4; electrics 7; cabs 3; heads 4; combos 8; keyboards 4

and I have nowhere near the stuff I'd like to have, however I have every reason to be content with what I do have

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Yes I am a hopeless case too. Despite having most if my 'collection' as keepers that I couldn't possibly be without, I'm permanently checking eBay and getting excited about something.
    I've just today bought a Fender Jaguar... Do I "need" it? No... But I sure as hell wanted it and I will play the heck out of it. I want to gig it with my band - as they look achingly cool... Just like my Les Paul Special does, and my Jazzmaster and my.....

It's hopeless. I give in to it...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I sold about 5, last year, because I had too many. This year, I decided I still had too many, and should sell more. I also decided to shuffle the pack, a bit, as well, so I didn't have so many guitars that were to all intents and purposes, the same. So far, I've got 2 in, 1 out, and another on the way out. I also have 2 still for sale, but unsold, as yet. 

I think I'm making progress..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    I am ridiculous. In the past 2 years I have purchased 15 electric and 5 acoustic guitars. The thing is I try to sell some but I can't and don't out any effort into trying. I also have a shit load of amps and pedals. My thing lately has been buying pickups - I have loads.

I have a disease. My wife thinks I am insane but she doesn't do anything about it.
    I think it could be a bit like hoarding, it certainly appeals to my mild OCD.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Hmm, a week in the life of a Gas-a-holic

Made:
    1. One Faux Baritone tele, Mojo Kay Speedbump Pickup, Strat Trem, lots of glitter
    2. One Jooky Jaguar (awaiting pickups)
    3. La Cab Tele thing (awaiting pickups)

Buying:
    1. Harley Benton Rosewood Tele
    2. Squier VM Mustang
    3. Cimar Astra
    4. Rosetti Jazzmaster thing

Projects & Parts:
    1. GSPBASSES' Vox teardrop body &  neck
    2. Walnut La Cab Tele body
    3. Ash Jazzmaster body
    4. Alder Jaguar body
    5. 5 Wamoth necks (gulp)
    6. Maple Strat neck
    7. 4 sets of Sperzels
    8. 1 set of Schaller locking tuners
    9. Four Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems
    10. 3 Staytrem JM Bridges
    11. Jag pickups + wiring loom
    12. La Cab bridge pickup + wiring loom
    13. 3 Hiscoxes
    14. Jaguar mute
    15. Various scratplates
    16. Load of handmade Jooky headstock plate things
    17. 1KG of copper powder, 1 KG of bronze powder
    18. Paint, lots of paint
    19. A pink paisley skirt

Sold:
    1. Swing tele
    2. Haigh SG
    3. Jooky Jazzmaster
    4. Jooky Tele

Luckily I was in hospital for most of the week, or it could have got messy...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Today I am mostly GASsing for a Fibenare Basic Jazz Doublecut

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    edited April 2014
    If you don't need any of those Staytrem JM bridges I'd be happy to consider taking one off your paws @Jooky ... but then again knowing you maybe you really do need that many offset goodies! :P
    A_T_W said:
    If you don't need any of those Staytrem JM bridges I'd be happy to consider taking one off your paws @Jooky ... but then again knowing you maybe you really do need that many offset goodies! :P
    I have realised I need a couple more to be fair ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    JookyChap said:
    A_T_W said:
    I have realised I need a couple more to be fair ;)
    Haha wouldn't expect anything less from you. I'll keep an eye out in case you decide to go in a different direction and offload them then
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I haven't bought anything in the last year except a couple of pedal kits. I'm cured. 

Guys - all you need to do is move to a country 4000 miles away where the guitar shops are hard to find, super-expensive and basically a bit shit! :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    5 in, 4 out in just over a week, new record for me. It could very well continue!
    Niallmo said:
    5 in, 4 out in just over a week, new record for me. It could very well continue!
    Gah - you beat me :)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    jeez - just listen to you guys - have you never at any time in your lives been train spotting?? - now THAT is when you start worrying...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    jeez - just listen to you guys - have you never at any time in your lives been train spotting?? - now THAT is when you start worrying...
    Tell the group @57Deluxe, we're all on your side here...