Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    Is it what? Just another Facebook guitar sales pages...there's so many. I see members here have ads on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shit, thought it was a link to a direct ad...hang on!

MIJ relic les paul copy - ridden hard and put away wet!!!
    £300 Now £200
    London, United Kingdom

This guitar started life as Japanese Les Paul copy, I'm not completely sure of the brand - the slimmer, open book headstock and Nashville bridge seem to suggest a Greco eg700 or similar however I'm leaving this up to interpretation!

The guitar was owned by a good friend of my previously, it came to him as a husk and he purchased all the hardware, PAF copy pickups and the aged plastics that are on the guitar now. He also added black vinyl to the headstock and a new logo...

This guitar sounds awesome, bags of woody sustain and from a few feet back, looks genuinely like a true vintage Les Paul!

There are however some issues that you should be aware of before purchasing the guitar:

• Its heavy!!! Possibly the heaviest Les Paul I've ever played, and I've played plenty of Norlin era monstrosities!!

• There is a myriad of links dents and general wear and tear to the finish - also known as 'mojo'

• The fretboard inlays are slightly off centre - possible it was made on a Friday afternoon

• The bottom strap button is off centre

• The strings are F spaced so they don't bite line up with the pole pieces

• The finish was stripped at some point and I'm not to sure what the re-fin is - I have a sneaking suspicion it's yacht varnish!

• The neck angle isn't vintage gibson, but at least it stays in tune!

Now for the good parts:

• It looks like a proper old Les Paul, you cannot buy 40 years of ageing!

• It sounds hands down better than any nasty sub £1000 Chinese LP copy - bags of tone

• with a few pounds you could make it look even more legit, perfect project guitar or leave as is!

• Its so heavy that you could also use it to fend of burglars

Cash on collection preferred please!

I MAY reluctantly post however it's not cased and I won't take any responsibility for damage in transit, I don't have a hardcase and it will be bubble wrap and a guitar box! Its just generally a bad idea to do this with set neck guitars...

Due to the listed issues with the guitar I will absolutely not accept returns.

Feel free to drop me a line with any questions!

• I'll post links to the pics in a mo
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    It could well be a Jap LP copy, which is all he’s claiming tbh. It doesn’t make it worth what he’s asking though. 
  • Not for me but what  he said about 40 years of ageing is probably right. So many of those “1959 reissue” guitars being offered were still trees a few years ago. When it comes to wood you can’t fake age, genuine old guitars sound better partially due to the fact that the material they’re made of, ( ie wood) , has been changing over decades. I know that it’s a bit of a drag but I think that it’s a fact. You can’t buy age, ( even if you’re a successful Dentist), unless you’re prepared to pay the stupid prices being asked for the real thing.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Totally agree on the age thing. My son has a 1 year old Strat, and I have a 30 year old Strat. We did a blind test on the same amp and settings, and althogh they are similar, we both knew straight away which was which. With the 30 year old the sound is very slightly fuller and more mellow.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Mark1960 said:
    Totally agree on the age thing. My son has a 1 year old Strat, and I have a 30 year old Strat. We did a blind test on the same amp and settings, and althogh they are similar, we both knew straight away which was which. With the 30 year old the sound is very slightly fuller and more mellow.
    They probably have different pickups at least.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Neil said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Yes you’re right. But if even you swapped all the electronics the guitars would still sound different. I have an old Seymour Duncan Brodcaster pickup, ( pre official import), and I’ve fitted it in several of my Telecasters, some old some new, over the past 30 odd years , it has sounded distinctively different in each guitar. An electric guitar is a sum of the components, you can do a pretty good job of faking the shape, looks and electrical components but not the aged wood that it’s made of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    boogieman said:
    It could well be a Jap LP copy, which is all he’s claiming tbh. It doesn’t make it worth what he’s asking though. 
    Yes, but he namedrops Greco..
    If he doesn’t know, why not just say”I don’t know “? unless he’s trying to plant a seed..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    usedtobe said:
    boogieman said:
    Yes, but he namedrops Greco..
    If he doesn’t know, why not just say”I don’t know “? unless he’s trying to plant a seed..?
    I missed that bit. You could well be right.  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Henrytwang said:

Yes you’re right. But if even you swapped all the electronics the guitars would still sound different. I have an old Seymour Duncan Brodcaster pickup, ( pre official import), and I’ve fitted it in several of my Telecasters, some old some new, over the past 30 odd years , it has sounded distinctively different in each guitar. An electric guitar is a sum of the components, you can do a pretty good job of faking the shape, looks and electrical components but not the aged wood that it’s made of.
    A friend of mine has a '64 Strat that we put a Duncan Hotrails in the bridge position of :). The original pickup had died and he wanted to use the guitar for a gig, and he had the Hotrails spare, so we just stuck it in while we were going to send the original off to be rewound. More than 10 years later it's still there and the original dead pickup is still in the case!

It sounds great - it doesn't sound like a modern guitar, it sounds like a hugely powerful and aggressive old one. The 'old guitar tone' is in the wood, not the pickups. It's more noticeable in some guitars than others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Neil said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Yes possibly, but  the 1 year old strat clains to have 60s pickups, and I beleive the 30 year old has something call Texas specials, so different but similar maybe?
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    I quite like the look of that, its not a flame top which I like. If it sounded good and played nice then its worth whatever you want to pay for it.Thats the thing about guitars like these, only the buyers can put a price on it, the seller just puts out a ball park figure.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    You can’t buy age, ( even if you’re a successful Dentist),
    Yes you can.. Well you can buy old wood and there's lots of old wood out there.. Reclaimed wood is my favourite... 

Not even necessarily wood thats being repurposed. Ive come across many bits of wood that has just been sitting around for years in someone's garage or loft or something.

• This ad has been doing the rounds on Facebook, eBay, etc for a little while, now...IIRC, the original price was WAY higher. :open_mouth:

£100 and it might make an interesting project.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    usedtobe said:
    he namedrops Greco ... he’s trying to plant a seed?
    Exactly. Unless irrefutable proof exists of a name brand, it would have been wiser to mention the proverbial Matsumotu factory and throw in a few relevant hyperlinks for readers to perform their own checks.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yes, a bit of snake oil sales technique there - 'you know, I'm not saying it IS, but.... no, said too much already' (wink)
    Call me Dave.
  • Rabs said:
    You can’t buy age, ( even if you’re a successful Dentist),
    Yes you can.. Well you can buy old wood and there's lots of old wood out there.. Reclaimed wood is my favourite... 

Not even necessarily wood thats being repurposed. Ive come across many bits of wood that has just been sitting around for years in someone's garage or loft or something.
    Yeah I’m looking for a Telecaster body made from reclaimed wood, preferably knotty pine. Problem is most of them I’ve seen cost an arm and a leg.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Yeah but old wood, unless it has been subject to resonances and sound vibrations will just be an old bit of dry wood, isnt that why you actually have to play an acoustic or leave it beside a speaker or something for it to mature tonally? Moisture content and density wont be a massive factor cos you wont be making a guitar out of green wood anyway.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.