Incoming Callaham Vintage Strat Tremolo

What's Hot
My K-line Springfield is in for a restring and a set-up and after a few sleepless nights I've caved in for a full Callaham tremolo bridge assembly to be installed at the same time. The Callaham will be replacing a Wilkinson (not the Gotoh-Wilkinson) vintage classic six screw trem which has been decent apart from a small crack developing in the not so good quality zinc block. Looking forward to getting it back but what can I expect? is the Callaham a worthy upgrade?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I installed a full Callaham unit in my last decent Strat and was very impressed with it, and I thought the £160 or thereabouts that it cost was quite good.

The only thing I had to do, as I always have my Strat bridges flush with the body, was to order some shorter saddle height screws.
  • Yep. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • They're great. They sound great and the action is smooth. You sometimes have to explain why you've got "CG" stamped on your saddles though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Fueling the excitement! 
  • Callaham make very high quality components, I’m sure you’ll not be disappointed.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My Wilkingson block was  iron.A magnet stuck to it .
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    They're great. They sound great and the action is smooth. You sometimes have to explain why you've got "CG" stamped on your saddles though.
    Who to?!! The audience?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3844
    Fantastic tremolo and all Callaham stuff is top notch. I reckon you'll notice a difference having the steel block. I do find the saddles on mine a bit bright though, so might swap them out for Raw Vintage at some point. 
  • p90fool said:
    They're great. They sound great and the action is smooth. You sometimes have to explain why you've got "CG" stamped on your saddles though.
    Who to?!! The audience?
    A couple of very well respected Midlands luthiers. I'm sure they've got better things to do than trawl through forums all day...

I've also got one of their ABR-1s which is lovely.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First impressions of the Callaham are bloody wow! Well impressed.
    I used it at rehearsal last night and my guitar sounds fatter, beefy and zingy - in a nice way! the tremolo is very musical in use. Tuning stability seems good too. An expensive upgrade but worthwhile, probably the best upgrade you can do on a Strat.
    I used it at rehearsal last night and my guitar sounds fatter, beefy and zingy - in a nice way! the tremolo is very musical in use. Tuning stability seems good too. An expensive upgrade but worthwhile, probably the best upgrade you can do on a Strat.
    Wis :)

I buggered about with other cheaper bridges for years. When I finally got my Callaham I was annoyed it'd taken me so long, it was that much better than everything else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Better get mine out of the drawer and on my strat then :+1: 
    Wis :)

I buggered about with other cheaper bridges for years. When I finally got my Callaham I was annoyed it'd taken me so long, it was that much better than everything else.
    Likewise, I had a Wilkinson vintage six screw on before the upgrade on my K-line. I thought it sounded decent, maybe a little thin sounding. I too bought a replacement vanson trem block and a very good Kev Hurley cold rolled steel replacement block for the Wilko bridge, but then thought feck it! replace it all mo fo!
  • It also gave my P90 equipped K-line jazzer and good run for the money