NGD: Atkin OM37

What's Hot
jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
edited November 2018 in Acoustics
https://i.imgur.com/tsR8hqh.jpg
Popped into Andertons today to check out a 2nd hand Fender twin and left with this instead! I’d never played an Atkin before but read good things on here. Oh my god, what a tone! They had a few different models in stock but this one was my fave, it’s light as a feather and would give most dreads a run for their money. It’s cost me my lp Custom but it had to be done, such an addictive guitar!

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Lovely! He makes wonderful guitars. Happy NGD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Lovely! He makes wonderful guitars. Happy NGD.
    Thanks! I’m busy ABing it with my ‘66 Hummingbird and it’s very interesting to hear the similarity in volume (Atkin’s a bit louder actually!) and warmth of tone. I love my hummingbird and have never found a guitar to rival it before. 
    https://i.imgur.com/3NHrs2W.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve only ever heard great things... that’s a beaut mate.. :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    That is just a beautiful piece of wood. Congrats on a fine purchase.

I noticed your Baggs pickup on the Gibson. I wondered how much do you rate it's accuracy in reproducing you acoustic tone when amplified?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Looks lovely. Happy NGD.
  • equalsql said:
    That is just a beautiful piece of wood. Congrats on a fine purchase.

I noticed your Baggs pickup on the Gibson. I wondered how much do you rate it's accuracy in reproducing you acoustic tone when amplified?
    I like the M1A, it just needs a bit of mid scooped out to sound good in a solo setting. I always get compliments on the sound so it’s either a happy marriage with the hummingbird or it’s just a great pickup.
  • If anyone wanted to hear how my OM37 sounds it’s the actual guitar in the Andertons video, first guitar Pete plays!
    https://youtu.be/McAJ2CAu8dk
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Outstanding choice. I hope to own one too one day...
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    What a beautiful guitar.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    A very watchable video. Thanks for posting @jimmyguitar. Alister is such a personable guy. He can reel out a list of well-known players but still appreciates all his customers and has time for them. I bought my OM-28H Retrospective from him at his workshop six or seven years ago and have bumped into him several times since at venues and he always has the same friendly greeting and time for a chat. Success certainly hasn't gone to his head. He's got a great little band too and writes brilliant songs. So much talent :)

I have to say I'd love one of his Thirty Six or LG47 guitars but but it's hard to justify when the OM-28 is so good. Maybe one day....
  • Well done, mate - Atkin is THE ONE. And the OM is astounding. I have never heard a better guitar - have one myself.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 243
    lovely guitar congrats.  Ive played alot of atkin guitars his workshop is not far from me.