Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone tried double straps to prevent neck dive?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    There's always these options, which you see on quite a lot of old SG copies...

Just make sure you don't hit the truss rod if you put it in the neck!

Or for the ultimate cure, this...

:D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the responses guys. I have read pretty much all the suggestions in other places, but guess I was just hoping for a quick fix off the shelf solution. It still could work, but am not going to blow £70 in case it does not.

I dont think it is primarily the tuners on this one. I had the 2013 Future Tribute also with the robotuners and it was super comfortable to play and had no neck dive - had to return it though because the steinberg tuners did not get the pitch correctly.  The 2016 HP Special has a particularly huge thick neck relative to the rest of the body  ("soloist neck width" whatever that means), and even the guy selling it to me commented on that (we were looking at another SG which I was considering).

I am a bit skeptical that a suede strap could compensate on such a severe dive, but the pouch option seems the least invasive and easy to try.  Don't really want to stuff the electronics cavity with lead weights.  Anyone got any recommendations for something that works well in terms of a pouch? Something reasonably robust, easy to attach to the strap. Sadly the Heads Up straps once produced where you could insert weights inside are no longer in production.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    grungebob said:
    Two options.  
    1) get a leather strap with a grabby back, this way there’s more friction to stop the neck diving so much or

2)Get a weighted strap made for you or make one yourself. Patch/pocket sown onto the body end of the strap and fill it with washers or fishing weights to counter balance. 

Actually three options, Ditch the robotuners for lighter weight manual ones. 
    These were my thoughts on the matter
    Heavy tuners at the end of a LONG neck create more rotational force than on other guitars. 
    Lighten the tuner weight and it could greatly reduce that effect
    I think the tuners are a good place to start.  I haven't tried it on an SG but I've replaced the metal buttons of Schaller tuners with pearloid or ebony ones a few times - notably on a '90s Thinline Tele and a chambered Hamer Artist.  Both were very neck-heavy and reducing the weight on the headstock made a big difference.

I've got an SG with first-generation robot tuners and it's stupidly neck-heavy.  I'm not sure if I really like the guitar but if I do keep it I'm definitely dumping all the robot shit and replacing it with Sperzels or something.
  • FatBastardFatBastard Frets: 7
    edited November 2018
  • I also wondered about attaching a second strap - one to the guitar body on the same strap nut as my locking strap and the other wrapped around the nut area just over the strings  like this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/wholesale-heads-up-guitar-straps-faux_60818593782.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.53.57f07565ndNkc7

The first strap will take the bulk of the weight and the second maybe just lift the neck a bit if I put it on not too tight? I'm sure this will provoke howls of derision, but lets keep criticism to practicalities specifically (tuning maybe?) and not looking good - my audience does not extend beyond my cat.

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    edited November 2018

£1.99 

job done no drilling weights etc 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    please not this way !!

another "D ring" method video

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bigsby said: ...

What kind of tension bar is that?
  • Now wash your hands! ;)
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Bigsby said: ...

What kind of tension bar is that?
    Towner.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Gibson producing a product which was flawed from the first one and did noting to fix the problem (shock)!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    Gibson producing a product which was flawed from the first one and did noting to fix the problem (shock)!
    And yet it's "The Best-Selling Gibson of All Time", according to Gibson themselves (although I'm not sure I believe it).

It can't have been flawed all that badly.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    Philly_Q said:
    Rocker said:
    And yet it's "The Best-Selling Gibson of All Time", according to Gibson themselves (although I'm not sure I believe it).

It can't have been flawed all that badly.
    Best not to believe it, as it's clearly bollocks. That claim is made in one lightweight blog post-style bit of nonsense, where the author claims Gibson sold more than 6,000 SGs in each of the first three years of production. That gives a minimum of more than 18,000 SGs - a production total Gibson only reached in the 1970s. I'm pretty sure SGs weren't on a seven year back order! Note that this claim of 18,000+ units - which is the only mention of sales in the article - does nothing to establish the claim of the SG being Gibson's best seller. In fact, it's just compared with the worst three years of sales figures in the Les Pauls history. Pure nonsense. In 1973 Gibson made 3,009 SG Standards, and 10,484 Les Paul Deluxes - quite a different picture.

In a later piece on another website the same author quotes the correct production figure for '61 SG - and it's well short of 6,000. :) Thing is, once you post fake news on the internet, it becomes a 'fact' - I've seen this one repeated in a few places, but it always comes back to the same source.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    Attach a rubber coated diving weight to the end of the strap at the body end. Inexpensive and no need to butcher the guitar. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Double straps look hilarious
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    No harm in taking the robot tuners off with your next string change and wearing the guitar for comparison
  • roberty said:
    No harm in taking the robot tuners off with your next string change and wearing the guitar for comparison
    Nah, that is not the main thing with this guitar - if you saw the neck you'd have a double take yourself. I had a very similar SG with a slim neck and robot tuners, and there was zero neck dive. I will try the weights suggestion / D-ring clips first.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Does anyone know if double straps work? Bass players use them more, so we just need to hunt one down (with a pointy stick).