Thoughts on having more than one of the same guitar?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I've been thinking of purchasing a used Squier jaguar in white and putting a white pickguard on it, but I already have one in the sunburst colour. I started playing a couple of years back and that sunburst squier vm jag was my first guitar, so I don't know if I should sell it because it might have sentimental value later on, although I've been playing my epiphone sheraton more lately. After I saw Johnny Marr at the Glasgow barrowlands on Thursday I've been thinking of another jag after seeing his collection!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3340
    edited November 2018
    Never sell your first guitar. 

If of course that’s just my opinion but 26 years later and I still like playing my first. 

Ive two of the same guitars also, ones a hardtail with a single bridge humbucker and the other has a working trem and 3 single coils. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    Never sell your first guitar. 

If of course that’s just my opinion but 26 years later and I still like playing my first. 

Ive two of the same guitars also, ones a hardtail with a single bridge humbucker and the other has a working trem and 3 single coils. 
    Yeah I could always put a humbucker in the bridge of the sunburst one and keep the white one with single coils. It would be good having more than one guitar with single coils though as the sunburst is mainly my sonic youth guitar just now and doesn't see much use and I don't like the coil split on the sheraton, but humbuckers would be better for sonic youth.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I like change so prefer different guitars. Even playing gigs i tend to use whatever i am playing at the time most with another as a spare - For now its a telecaster with Gibson midtown as back up

• Having owned multiples of the same guitar in the past it's not something I will return to doing.
    You will always pickup the best one. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I would only sell it if you need the money or need the space.   

And theres nothing wrong with having similar guitars - whatever makes you happy.    I can see the point about upgrading two budget models for one better guitar but not sure I’d do it at the expense of selling your first, better to save longer imo.  

However, I suspect my current levels of gas mean I should be ignored and you should listen to more sensible people.  
  • Having owned multiples of the same guitar in the past it's not something I will return to doing.
    You will always pickup the best one. 
    This for me. There can be exceptions involving different woods and different pickups (P90 & Humbucker Les Pauls, maple & rosewood strats) but generally I don’t like repeats of things. 

So I’d say “maybe” if you’re keen on having a Jag with different pickups, eitherwise I wouldn’t bother
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    “This guitar makes me happy. So two will make me twice as happy”.....is a false premise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    tFB Trader

I don't know what you mean

https://i.imgur.com/KXopxm1.jpg

:)

The thing is, while they are three Les Pauls.. Each is very different.

And really every guitar is unique in its own way, even if its the same model made from the same materials.. Play what you like and get what you want, you don't need an excuse further than " I really like this guitar".

At least that's what I tell myself ;)

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I;ve had two of the same guitar in the past but swapped out the pickups on one to provide some variation in tone but maintaining the same look and feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited November 2018
    I dunno, owning 3 Jackson Dinkys suits me. One is hardtail with brighter ceramic replacement pickups, another with 2-point trem and replacement Alnico pickups and the third has a Floyd Rose trem and stock ceramic pickups.

No particular favourite and enough variety to keep my interest. The standout for me is the neck profile and they are all consistent in form factor yet much varied in tone.
  • I don't know if it's worth having 2 of the same guitar with the exact same specs and same trem system but with slightly different pickups. I've just been thinking of a white jag with a matching scratch plate after seeing Johnny Marr. I could probably get a used one cheaper than a refinish would cost and just spray paint the scratch plate white. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    Buy what you want to buy mate, as long as you can afford it! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    Calum13 said:
    After I saw Johnny Marr at the Glasgow barrowlands on Thursday, I've been thinking of another jag after seeing his collection!
    This urge will pass. That is why it is called G.A.S. ;)

Buy what you want to buy mate, as long as you can afford it! 
    Indeed. 
    Calum13 said:
    I could always put a humbucker in the bridge of the sunburst one and keep the white one with single coils.
    I would keep the sunburst/torty Jaguar regular and modify the white one. 

The humbucker idea would involve enlarging the pickup cavity and cutting the pickguard. Similar sonic results could be achieved using either a "Rails" type humbucker or a red Lace Sensor. @HarrySeven can probably advise on which pickup upgrades best suit your sort of music.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Calum13 said:
    After I saw Johnny Marr at the Glasgow barrowlands on Thursday, I've been thinking of another jag after seeing his collection!
    This urge will pass. That is why it is called G.A.S. ;)

Buy what you want to buy mate, as long as you can afford it! 
    Indeed. 
    Calum13 said:
    I could always put a humbucker in the bridge of the sunburst one and keep the white one with single coils.
    I would keep the sunburst/torty Jaguar regular and modify the white one. 

The humbucker idea would involve enlarging the pickup cavity and cutting the pickguard. Similar sonic results could be achieved using either a "Rails" type humbucker or a red Lace Sensor. @HarrySeven can probably advise on which pickup upgrades best suit your sort of music.

Yeah the "rails" pickup would be much easier than have to modify the body of the guitar. I have have a guitar with 2 different rails pickups maybe and one with 2 single coils. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    jellyroll said:
    “This guitar makes me happy. So two will make me twice as happy”.....is a false premise. 

I have eight Teles and am eight times happier than when I had one. I am still fairly miserable though

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You can have more than one as long as you play them. If you're a dentist or a doctor and you just collect them, then no.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I don’t like it personally. Every guitar has its own voice, so if I have two Strats let’s say, I end up aimlessly A/B-ing them all the time and convincing myself that the differences are vital, yet reality is, when you have only one (the best one) to go to, it matters not a jot.
  • dindude said:
    I don’t like it personally. Every guitar has its own voice, so if I have two Strats let’s say, I end up aimlessly A/B-ing them all the time and convincing myself that the differences are vital, yet reality is, when you have only one (the best one) to go to, it matters not a jot.
    Okay. But how many notes do you play before you get bored and return to watching Trashcan Maniacs or whatever Discovery channel TV show that you secretly love?
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    jellyroll said:
    quite right. It will make you four times as happy.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    dindude said:
    Okay. But how many notes do you play before you get bored and return to watching Trashcan Maniacs or whatever Discovery channel TV show that you secretly love?
    Play time is so limited, that boredom is never an issue, unfortunately. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom