Thomas The Tank Engine Gets Into A Fight

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
With a car. And wins, obviously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46249122

How dozy do you need to be to drive onto a level crossing when the lights and sirens are going and there is a large blue steam engine approaching at the enormous speed of 8mph?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Mercedes-Benz drivers sincerely believe that they own the road on which they drive. Nothing can possibly be more important than them.

My musical collaborator can verify this. He spent part of his career with Essex Constabulary, issuing tickets for road traffic offences. One recipient was the fur-coated posh woman of urban myth, driving a Benz. On being pulled over, she actually said the words, "oh, officer, shouldn't you be arresting real criminals?" 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    With a car. And wins, obviously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46249122

How dozy do you need to be to drive onto a level crossing when the lights and sirens are going and there is a large blue steam engine approaching at the enormous speed of 8mph?
    I find this absolutely shocking. I’m truly lost for words.

Do you really not know a tank engine from a non-tank engine?
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    mart said:
    I hope that you realise, your comment makes you a trainspotterspotter. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    mart said:

well I have never seen a train with a gun turret?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM - that is NOT a ‘tank engine’ - it’s a ‘tender engine’ - a bit shocked by your lack of precision here.... :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Merc drivers are a bunch of tankers anyway...
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    @ICBM - that is NOT a ‘tank engine’ - it’s a ‘tender engine’ - a bit shocked by your lack of precision here.... :)
    Tender? It seemed to do enough damage to the car, seemed quite robust.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I witnessed an accident on a level crossing involving a Reliant Regal van. The type in Only Fools and Horses. The crossing was an automatic half barrier and the van drove under the barrier into the path of an oncoming train. The train took the front end of the van off, spun it round and crushed the back end so there was only the middle of it left. The driver miraculously was shaken but unhurt.
  • The train should have waited. THEY WERE ON THEIR WAY TO THE GOLF CLUB.

Glad no one was hurt, but assuming the level crossing was working I don't know how you get it wrong, they're really visually obvious. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mercedes. Golf club. Why am I not surprised?

I'm quite familiar with that level crossing. You really would  have to be a complete twat to not notice there's a train coming.
    Twat.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited November 2018
    @ICBM - ... - a bit shocked by your lack of precision here....
    Come on, you shouldn’t be surprised at that - we all know he plays a Ric bass.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    I did actually know it’s not a tank engine :). I just couldn’t remember which of the other ones is a 0-6-0 tender engine... it’s 45 years since I read the books! I seem to remember that Thomas does have a tendency to get into accidents too.

Appropriately, the fact that the car was a Mercedes is now listed on the Wikipedia page for the Y14 class locomotive under ‘accidents and incidents’.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GER_Class_Y14

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Would love to see the letter from the Merc owner to his insurance company explaining how this wasn't his fault in any way.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited November 2018
    ICBM said:
    I did actually know it’s not a tank engine . I just couldn’t remember which of the other ones is a 0-6-0 tender engine... it’s 45 years since I read the books! I seem to remember that Thomas does have a tendency to get into accidents 
    James is the 0-6-0 tender engine - but is red. Edward is blue - but a 4-4-0.

I really am sad, aren’t I?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    richardhomer said:

James is the 0-6-0 tender engine - but is red. Edward is blue - but a 4-4-0.

I really am sad, aren’t I?
    Not that sad. Having done a bit more research into the matter, it appears that James is in fact a 2-6-0. The 0-6-0 tender engines are Douglas and Donald, which have been both blue and black at different times - they're a Caledonian Railway and not Great Eastern Railway type, but actually pretty similar to the one involved here.

(Yes, I did look all that up :).)

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Think it's the Isle of Sodor railway actually :)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6999
    PC Jon Parker, of Norfolk Police tweeted: "Currently on scene at a train vs car incident. Unsurprisingly, the train emerged the victor."

Classic.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    The engine - built in 1912 - had been travelling at 8mph to Weybourne to hook up with a dining car”

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    In all fairness, how many of us could avoid a crash when there is a level crossing, flashing lights and bells ringing, and a train tearing up at 8mph? I've had a think. All of us. All of us could.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom