Taking my Mum guitar shopping!

What's Hot
Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
Next Saturday I'm taking my mum to Newcastle to try to find her an acoustic guitar. She's asked for a guitar for her 60th birthday next year plus with Christmas coming up and Black Friday deals on it seems like a good time.

A few questions and some advice would be appreciated:

1) Geordies! Where would you recommend that has lots of choice, nice staff etc... I'm planning to go to PMT, GuitarGuitar and The Guitar Shop as they're all quite close to each other but I've never been to any of them before. Friendly and helpful staff thing is probably quite important because...

2) My mum is basically a beginner. She played a few chords in her youth and can still remember a few basic shapes but that's about it. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable so I could do with some tips to encourage her to have a play. We have all day so I thought I would learn a few of her favourite songs (not my kind of thing but hey) and try to teach her bits as we try different guitars out. Any other ideas to make it a less daunting experience?

3) Mum likes folk music mostly and, although she doesn't know much about different types of guitars, she has been to lots of folk festivals and concerts so she has an idea of what her guitar should look and sound like. I on the other hand, have not idea what is fashionable on the folk scene at the moment. Is there anything I should look at? Shapes, styles, woods, brands etc?

Hopefully it should be a fun day!

Thanks anyone who has any suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments