Headrush pedalboard live

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 616
has anybody tried the Headrush in a live band situation..im just wondering iff it can compare to a good amp and iff it will cut through, 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just resurrecting this post coz I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f-e-BECJeI

I'm really attracted to the unit because it looks like a blast to use. The video above makes it sound really good and at least one pro is using it in anger! :)

No users amongst the forum? I guess Helix has got a huge amount of momentum and so there's not much appetite to move away from that to something less proven.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The other guitarist in my band has one. It works, but his tonal choices have never been to my taste. But we’ve gigged it without issue. It’s also a better made unit than say the Helix LT.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• No users amongst the forum? I guess Helix has got a huge amount of momentum and so there's not much appetite to move away from that to something less proven.
    The problems I've always had with the Headrush are twofold:

1 - It uses the same modelling algorithms as the Eleven Rack. They were good for the time, but now...meh.

2 - They don't seem to have anywhere near the update frequency or size compared with the Helix and Fractal units, which is worryingly similar to how the Eleven died.

I'm also not a fan of the UI, but that's more of a personal thing.
    <space for hire>
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 403
    edited October 2019
    I have also been interested in the Headrush. I have compared it quite a bit to the Helix and I think it sounds a lot better (I'm primarily interested in the amp tones) and it is also easier to use. Whether it will cut through live is purely down to how it is programmed, what it is being played through and how it is being monitored on stage - just like any other unit of this type.

It seems to me that a lot of the bad press it gets comes mostly from a few people that prefer something else and choose to talk it down for whatever reason.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemol said:

It seems to me that a lot of the bad press it gets comes mostly from a few people that prefer something else and choose to talk it down for whatever reason.
    That's a really neat way to write off other folks' rationale you've got there ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really hard to judge the sound quality from YT vids but as far as I can tell it holds its own soundwise. I'm not too bothered about it being based on older tech - I mean, if it sounded good ten years ago it doesn't stop sounding good now. Older tech does have issues - I currently use a Digitech GSP1101 which sounds good but it can only load lower complexity IRs and the user interface is clunky to navigate. The headrush wouldn't have those kinds of issues, at least.

I think I would go for the gigboard - the full unit is just so massive. And I prefer my xp pedals on the other side anyway.

I have been thinking about an HX stomp...but I did fail to get on with the LT so I guess there's no reason why the stomp would be better, realistically.

And the Amplifire has the same usability issues as the GSP1101.

So headrush is closest to what I want, at least on paper...

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I have a Headrush and a Helix. The Headrush has fewer options to play with and models etc but the sounds it gets are a match for the Helix no problem. I do think the user interface is better on the Headrush is better with the large touch screen.

Both work in a live setting for me straight into the pa or frfr.