Bugger me, Strat gone bonkers ------ HELP!

What's Hot
merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
edited November 2018 in Making & Modding
I decided to return my EJ Strat to stock. Simple enough mod, it was just putting the single ply white scratch plate back on. 

All good except that now the pots work in reverse and the middle pickup only works in positions 2 and 4. On it's own there is none.... If it were just the middle pickup issue I would know what to do but the pots?

Any genius help would be gratefully welcomed! 

Sad, from Brighton. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    edited November 2018
    Firstly, are you (or the guitar) left-handed?

Secondly, please post photographs of your wiring as it currently stands.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    That's an odd one...!

Did you undo any of the wiring, or just transfer the loom to the new pickguard?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2018
    merlin said:
    the pots work in reverse
    In terms of the direction of rotation or in the sense that the lower tone pot now rolls treble from the neck position pickup and the upper tone pot now rolls off the bridge pickup?

merlin said:
    the middle pickup only works in positions 2 and 4. On its own, there is none.
    On the regular five-way lever selector switch, this can only happen if the little sprung leaf contacts for the middle pickup's terminal have been squished out of shape.

If you have the modern "roller wheel and ridges" selector switch, it is possible that there is a physical obstruction between the wheel and the switch chassis, forcing the lever blade out of contact with the sprung leaf parts.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    Firstly, are you (or the guitar) left-handed?

Secondly, please post photographs of your wiring as it currently stands.
    Right handed, both me and guitar. How would that make any difference? 
    I'll get it apart and post pics later. 

ICBM said:
    That's an odd one...!

Did you undo any of the wiring, or just transfer the loom to the new pickguard?
    I changed nothing as far as I was aware, just swapped out the pickguard, keeping everything else in place. 

merlin said:
    the pots work in reverse
    In terms of the direction of rotation or in the sense that the lower tone pot now rolls treble from the neck position pickup and the upper tone pot now rolls off the bridge pickup?

merlin said:
    the middle pickup only works in positions 2 and 4. On its own, there is none.
    On the regular five-way lever selector switch, this can only happen if the little sprung leaf contacts for the middle pickup's terminal have been squished out of shape.

If you have the modern "roller wheel and ridges" selector switch, it is possible that there is a physical obstruction between the wheel and the switch chassis, forcing the lever blade out of contact with the sprung leaf parts.
    In terms of direction of rotation. 
    I'll take it apart again later and have a look to see if there is any obstruction in the roller wheel and ridges switch. I've done this already though...
    So are the controls completely backwards? ie full up = silence, full down = output? That doesn't seem possible with any fault I can think of.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    So are the controls completely backwards? ie full up = silence, full down = output? That doesn't seem possible with any fault I can think of.
    Yes sadly, that's the case, tone controls operate 1 equals open and 10 equals full roll off, but they do alter the correct pickups, ie rear tone = bridge, front tone = neck. And the middle pickup doesn't function on its own, just in positions two and four. 
    I think we’re going to need a picture!

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    So only you output socket has been disconnected and reconnected?

Hmmm.
  • Veganic said:

Hmmm.
    Don't need to remove the output socket for a pickguard change. 
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited November 2018
    Veganic said:

Hmmm.
    Don't need to remove the output socket for a pickguard change. 
    Curiouser and curiousler.

Does it quack in 2 and 4 ?

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Your guitar is haunted by a poltergeist. There is no other answer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Er, should the stock Fender EJ circuit include a vintage style metal screening plate beneath the pickguard? If so, did you transfer this to the replacement pickguard but, then, omit to reinstate it with the stock white 'guard?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2018
    And fixed. 

I found a wiring diagram that showed a ground wire connecting the pots together. There was none before, but I thought, what have I got to lose? So I soldered two wires between the pots and bingo, it works. Weird because I would have expected to find wires that were there previously in the cavity, but nothing. 

Anyway. I'm back to normal and it's great! 

EDIT; And now thanks to @Funkfingers suggestion, the found and previously stuck screening plate is re-attached and it's back to how it should be! 
    Er, should the stock Fender EJ circuit include a vintage style metal screening plate beneath the pickguard? If so, did you transfer this to the replacement pickguard but, then, omit to reinstate it with the stock white 'guard?
    Yes, and I found it stuck to the new, old scratch plate. It's going back on and the soldered wire coming off....
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6810
    Funkfingers wins! What is the prize ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Many thanks to all especially @Funkfingers who SO wins! All good as new and top Strat again! 
    I’m still baffled as to how this could possibly cause the pots to work backwards and the middle pickup to be silent in the middle switch position but not in 2 and 4... that makes no sense at all.

Leave the soldered wire in place, there’s no reason to remove it.

• I'm fuming I didn't mention the shield. It had crossed my mind, but like ICBM, was querying how the grounding issue could cause so much madness.

Can we all just pretend I mentioned the grounding plate??
    ICBM said:
    I’m still baffled as to how this could possibly cause the pots to work backwards
    Without a connection to ground, the tone control components still place a load on their respective pickups. Rotating the pots towards the absent ground connection gradually removes the loading from circuit. (He guessed.)

ICBM said:
    I’m still baffled as to how this could possibly cause ... the middle pickup to be silent in the middle switch position but not in 2 and 4... that makes no sense at all.
    Agreed. IMO, this has to be a physical issue at the selector switch. 

On the other hand, anything that could short the Middle Pickup Only terminal to ground should still short it out when the selector switch is in positions 2 and 4.

Some vital piece of information is not conveyed in the opening post. Photographs of the circuit in its non-functioning state would probably have provided a simple explanation.

Agreed. IMO, this has to be a physical issue at the selector switch. 

Some vital piece of information is not conveyed in the opening post. Photographs of the circuit in its non-functioning state would probably have provided a simple explanation.
    Quite right, I ought to have taken and posted pics. However, the issue has been resolved.... many thanks y'all (particularly @Funkfingers). And yes, it ought to have been a physical issue at the selector switch, but weird science shows that it wasn't!