Just curious - what type of build would this neck be suitable for?

What's Hot

Fender scale length

24 frets

3 a side

57mm

What does all that add up to? Is is a replacement for something that exists? Or only suitable for a custom project? Am I missing something obvious? What would you do with it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Any conventional screwed-in neck project involving a Fender or Gibson derived body design would involve altering of the neck pocket.

For any project with a set neck, it might be desirable to cut the neck heel into some sort of tenon shape. Then, it will be necessary to decide how far into the body to set the neck so as to have the bridge and pickups positioned correctly.

mikem8634 said:
    What would you do with it?
    Something SG-ish, perhaps? 

Some Gibson hollow body Jazz guitars employ the 25.5" scale.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Any conventional screwed-in neck project involving a Fender or Gibson derived body design would involve altering of the neck pocket.

For any project with a set neck, it might be desirable to cut the neck heel into some sort of tenon shape. Then, it will be necessary to decide how far into the body to set the neck so as to have the bridge and pickups positioned correctly.

mikem8634 said:
    What would you do with it?
    Something SG-ish, perhaps? 

Some Gibson hollow body Jazz guitars employ the 25.5" scale.

Thanks, that pretty much confirms what I thought. Not really suitable for anything 'off the rack' as it were, quite a bit of modifying required.

I'm half way-ish through an epic (due to procrastination and indecision) Fano-esque partscaster with the body in my avatar and I am always browsing for 25.5 necks with interesting/alternative headstock shapes as the strat and tele necks I have don't seem quite right aesthetically. I kept seeing this and disounting it, but then wondering. Now you have confirmed that it's beyond my skillset.

Cheers Funkfingers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Les Paul DC.

Some of them had 24-fret necks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Les Paul DC.

DC juniors have a longer neck, that'll work for a sc junior though
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Some Gibson hollow body Jazz guitars employ the 25.5" scale.

ICBM said:
    Les Paul DC.

Did not know any of that, cheers chaps
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    edited November 2018
    customkits said:

I don’t mean a DC Junior, I mean a Les Paul DC, like this...

Admittedly the 25.5” scale would be a bit odd, but some people like odd combinations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom