NGD

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Yamaha Pacifica 611HFM in amberburst. 

I used to own a 311H but never really bonded with it and it got moved on, so the 611 might seem like a strange choice.

However, despite it being superficially similar, it is actually quite a different beast. The SD pickups are in a completely different league to the Yamaha items fitted to the 311 - more rounded tone and harmonically richer. I suspect that the 611's Graphtech saddles also help here by taking off some of the attack and brightness when compared to the 311's steel saddles.

The guitar is also noticaby more resonant - possibly due to the extra layer of wood used to give the flamed maple finish.

One of my issues with the 311 was the narrow width at the nut. According to the specs the 611 is the same, but in reality the neck feels a bit more of a handful. I suspect it's to do with depth rather than width - anyhow it definitely feels more to my liking.

Oh, and build quality looks fantastic.

Piccies to follow in a few days.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    HAL9000 said:
    I used to own a 311H but never really bonded with it. ... The SD pickups are in a completely different league to the Yamaha items fitted to the 311
    This would explain much of your disappointment with the 311H. With American passive pickups fitted, the budget model sounds serious. I tried active pickups for a while but decided put them in other guitars.

The TB-15 Custom 5 Trembucker suits the guitar design perfectly. A professional quality selector switch and pots improve things too. :) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Happy NGD. Yamaha make my favourite guitars and that’s a great model.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Funkfingers said:

...professional quality selector switch and pots improve things too. :) 
    Will probably do this at some point. I am well aware that even on the top models the pots and switches tend to be on the cheap side.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited January 2019
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Always fancied one of these, and wish I'd waited to get one from a chap on here before buying my Vintage V72. Just looks like it covers so many bases. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    I had one for a year, same colour Amber burst, bought off here.
    Tonally very versatile with the SD humbucker in the bridge with coil split, & the SD P90 in the neck.
    Build quality & hardware was excellent & the neck was very comfy.
    Really punches above it"s weight for the price IMO.
    Only moved it on to get a Charvel Pro Mod as Mrs baldy operates a one in one out policy  :/
    I do miss it.