Roadkill Cabs

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 665
Anybody have any epxerience with them? I'm looking for a decent 2x12 and I've found one loaded with V30's that I thought about taking a punt on
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Yeah, I ordered a cab from them about a year ago. I wanted an upright 2x12 with a slant, which wasn't offered on the website but he made one for me. Bloody lovely it is, solid as you like with some nice customisation options. He was great to deal with as well, great communication. I'd go there again.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    The guy who built my amp absolutely loves them. I have no direct experience with them but I'd imagine they're good. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    They made a headshell for me (converted my jubilee froma combo to a head). 

I was very impressed with the price and quality plus Tom sent regular emails at each stage of construction.

Easily as good as the cabs I've seen from zilla but a lot cheaper.  If I ever need anything making I'll use them again.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    As soon as I get my Cabronita built & sold (already have a buyer !) I'm gonna use the cash to buy one of his 'Badger' 212 models. Have exchanged a couple of preemptive emails with him to confirm details and he seems like a nice chap to deal with.

Can't wait to get it and slap the Vintage30 & G12T75 that are under my desk at work in it !
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited April 2014
    Mine seem very good- I haven't seen any zillas but mine do seem to be very nice. Good prices, too. As Bidley said, they're very nice to deal with.

^ Are you going to run it closed-backed? I thought my badger sounded a little boxy when run closed-backed (no problem, I bought it to run open-backed) since it's really an oversized 1x12 with 2 speakers bunged into it. If you're wanting heavier tones and closed-back, I'd go the stag if you can at all. Tons of chunk out of that. Maybe a little too much even if you're after less heavy tones :))
    edited April 2014
    Hmm, good intel, thanks Dave ! I was drawn to the Badger because of it's compactness... But that said I do like a chunky low end.. Hmm a dilemma. So @Dave_Mc are you saying an open backed Badger WILL have enough arse or do I need the Stag ?
    edited April 2014
    I'm not sure. :)) It seems to matter less with open-backed (it sounds less boxy, I mean), but then I'd use open-backed for different types of tones, I prefer closed-back for anything heavy at all.

I think if you know you want to run it closed back and you want chunk you probably want the stag.

Whether or not you'd notice the boxiness of the badger if you didn't have the stag to compare, to, though, I don't know. I thought the badger sounded fine (with a closed-back) until I compared it head to head with a bigger cab (the harley benton one I think, and I think i had a greenback combined with a g12h30 in each if i remember correctly) with the same speakers. At that point I was kind of shocked at the difference, it was pretty noticeable. And that was at low house volumes.

EDIT: I should add I'm going on memory here, I haven't compared the two cabs with the same speakers for some time (maybe a year or two). I did so much speaker swapping there a while back that if I never have to do it again, I'll be fairly pleased. :))
    @Dave_Mc thanks again for the further thoughts. Hmm on reflection I think what we're both saying is that for the few extra quid it's gonna cost the Stag is gonna do it
    edited April 2014
    No problem.

Yeah, I think so. Unless you really need it to be as small and light as possible, or are worried the oversized stag might be too chunky-sounding, then yeah, the stag is probably the better one to go for if you don't mind the fact it's slightly dearer.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 665
    @Dave_Mc - it's strange you mention the Harley Benton as I was looking at that too.

Basically I want to have a 2x12 as a back up to my 4x12 which is a Laney loaded with V30's. Love the sound but sometimes it's too big!

The Roadkill is second hand and comes with V30's and think it's the stag, at a good price.

But not as cheap as a new Harley Benton, delivered. So now I'm a bit stumped as to what to get?

The Roadkill looks better.......
    I've had a HB cab as well, it'll do a job but the RK is just nicer, construction-wise. Saying that though, it depends on the price difference, the HB's are really good for the money.
    @smudge_lad, if you decide against the Roadkill would you mind pm'ing me the details as I might well have it ? Only if you don't of course, not trying to jump in on your deal or anything
  • Toe_KneeToe_Knee Frets: 47
    I have a completely custom Roadkill cab that is easily the best sounding cab that i've played to date. I plan on getting a custom 1x12 to go with my mkIIC+ as well.

I have had a lot of Toms work pass through my hands over the last couple of years as he also makes all of the headshells for the amps that I build now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Price difference is around £50, so not too much I guess
    edited April 2014
    Bidley said:
    I've had a HB cab as well, it'll do a job but the RK is just nicer, construction-wise. Saying that though, it depends on the price difference, the HB's are really good for the money.
    Yeah

If he wants something that'll sound closeish to a 4x12 I think he wants the stag. (From memory) The HB cab sounded bigger/chunkier than the (closed-backed) badger, but the stag sounds way better again.

It depends on the price, though- with the harley benton the cab is almost free, and if you know you want v30s anyway you can try the HB cab without too much risk even if you don't like the cab. Though it'd be worth pricing how much RK can fit v30s for because he may do a deal on the speakers. But if you're paying retail prices for the speakers the HB might be a "shot to nothing", kind of thing. if you don't like the cab, rip the speakers out of it and order an unloaded Stag...
    edited April 2014

Dave_Mc said:
    Bidley said:
    Yeah

If he wants something that'll sound closeish to a 4x12 I think he wants the stag. (From memory) The HB cab sounded bigger/chunkier than the (closed-backed) badger, but the stag sounds way better again.

It depends on the price, though- with the harley benton the cab is almost free, and if you know you want v30s anyway you can try the HB cab without too much risk even if you don't like the cab. Though it'd be worth pricing how much RK can fit v30s for because he may do a deal on the speakers. But if you're paying retail prices for the speakers the HB might be a "shot to nothing", kind of thing. if you don't like the cab, rip the speakers out of it and order an unloaded Stag...
    Yeah, very true.
    Price difference is around £50, so not too much I guess
    That settles it then - get the RK, IMO :) You'll feel good about yourself buying something UK-made too!
    edited April 2014
    I think you guys missed the part about it being second hand so I couldn't have contacted the dude about a deal.

But I went for it anyway! It was on eBay and I didnt manage to check out before the auction ended if it was the stag or badger......turns out it's the badger. Bugger! Never mind! It's only a few months old and looks in mint condition so even if I didn't like it I could probably get my money back on it I think.

I think I'll be happy enough though. It'll be mainly used for bedroom noodling, rehearsals in the small room we use and maybe at a gig where we're still for space, although I've never ha an issue with getting my 4x12 on any of our stages.......yet
    No worries, with any luck if you don't have the stag to compare it to you won't notice. :)