Inlay material and thickness question

Hi folks

Now I tend to have strange ideas from time to time and over the weekend I was thinking about inlays.  What is the conventional wisdom regarding material and thickness for an inlay?

I'm assuming that an inlay placed on the body or headstock of an electric guitar can be made from more or less anything?  I wouldn't have thought that it would have much influence on the tone but doesn't hurt to ask.  The reason is I've been messing about with a 3d printer and I'm not sure if I could use the results as the inlay or if I just use what I print as a template to cut the more traditional materials like shell.

I'm also assuming that whatever is used should probably only be about 2mm - 3mm thick but again this is just an assumption.

I also suspect that a fret board inlay would have more of an effect and using plastic there is probably a bad idea as it's going to pick up scratches from string bends and generally either look bad very quickly or make much more of an impact on the way the guitar plays.

Any wisdom from those in the know greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I think mop inlays are around 1mm or so, i think it's up to the individual to do whatever they want really, try it on a bit of scrap first and see how you get on
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    MOP dot inlays need to be at least 2mm thick, if you're doing Crown or Block inlays in MOP 2mm is the minimum thickness you'll need. The same sort of thicknesses for acrylic inlays, most pick guard material is 2mm or more. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671

don't forget most Gibson's have plastic inlays

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Gibson cellulose nitrate inlays were around 1mm but they were curved to the radius,

Although I was originally referring to a mop headstock inlay

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)