New family car advice?

TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
It's that time again, our cars are getting a bit long in the tooth having both done over 100k, so starting to think about replacing them before maintenance gets expensive. Looking for some suggestions for a family car for myself. Needs to be safe, reliable and economical to run and purchase. Whilst I'm not too fussed about looks of a car, there are levels I'd rather not stoop to (ie Honda Jazz, Ford C-max, weird Fiat Multipla etc). I use it for a 27ish mile each way B-road commute so needs to be good on fuel for that and nice to be in for that amount of time!

Size wise I think a large hatchback with decent sized & shaped boot will be fine. Must be 5 doors as it makes baby and child seats a lot easier! Currently driving a 12 plate Golf which is fine size wise. Was looking at finding something of a similar age but with less miles. Anything to look out and avoid for with a car of that age, or a bit older? 

Budget is low as possible without getting a complete banger. With a part exchange for my current car I can spend probably about £5k max. I'm thinking I'll probably have to go for something incredibly uncool like a Peugeot 207 or Toyota Auris but could do with some suggestions!

Also, what's the verdict on petrol Vs diesel these days?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Personally with a 5 grand budget I'd use the money to give the 100000 milers a bloody good service with a reputable dealer and spend the rest on beer.
  • Do you drive long distances frequently? 50+ miles

How many in your family and what ages?

Do you need to carry bulky stuff often? Band gear, golf
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2018
    Deadman said:
    Personally with a 5 grand budget I'd use the money to give the 100000 milers a bloody good service with a reputable dealer and spend the rest on beer.
    Don't reckon buying something of a similar age with less miles on the clock is worth the hassle then? I've seen some 2010-2012 models with less than 35k miles within my budget.

@roundthebend - not massive trips frequently but around 50 miles round trip for daily commuting. Soon to be a family of 4 (son is almost 2 and baby due next summer) with a small dog. My gear and bike can all fit comfortably into the back of our 3dr fiesta so not too worried about bulky items, just want a decent boot for luggage on holidays (with the aid of a roof box).
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    @TTBZ your Golf is only 6 years old. They're bloomin good cars. I run cars well past 100000. As long as they're well looked after (and decent to begin with) then they'll go on and on.

If you want a low miler, go for it though. I could only recommend something German nowadays though. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Passat, really, mine has done over 200k, still pulls like a train, eats up the miles, huge inside , runs on fumes, bullet proof engine (diesel), look for high spec, leather, blue tooth etc. They were designed as fleet cars so reliable , massive MPG and very comfy.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I don’t know how much you’d get in part ex for yours but I can highly recommend the BMW 3 series GT 320d.  For around £9-12k you could get something with around 50k on the clock. 
    Good size interior and a hatchback with a boot bigger than the 3 series estate. 
    Motorways I get 60+ mpg and around town driving I’m averaging 46.2 with a heavy foot and automatic. 
  • Deadman said:
    @TTBZ your Golf is only 6 years old. They're bloomin good cars. I run cars well past 100000. As long as they're well looked after (and decent to begin with) then they'll go on and on.

If you want a low miler, go for it though. I could only recommend something German nowadays though. 
    Agree - my mk5 got has now past 100k but still pulls well and the build quality is great. I did move away from German cars for a while but the general quality was not there. If not another golf what about an Octavia? Great value compared to VWs but made from the same components....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Keep them well looked after and you will be fine.

I had 2 cars nearly at 200k and provided you make sure they are serviced they will run and run.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited December 2018
    Hmm yes I'm thinking that might be the best option. I do like the Golf and it's given me no trouble at all, though the timing belt is overdue replacing which is £300 + labour iirc. One of the shocks has also come up as an advisory as it's leaking/weeping, not sure what that costs to fix when it goes. It does get regular services so could I expect to get another 100k out of it?

We've actually recently swapped cars with me using my wife's Fiesta for commuting and it feels so flimsy in comparison. Gets about 55mpg which is ok but wondering if I could trade it in and get something tiny and super economical for commuting since I don't need space for anything other than myself and occasionally guitar stuff!