Anyone gone for the iPhone Xs?

What's Hot
I’m still on a 6s with a sim only contract and am looking to upgrade, but trying to work out whether to go for the Xr or xs. Anyone with the Xs have any strong opinions on it, (excluding its ludicrous price) particularly whether the second telephoto lens has made much difference? 
And is viewing documents like pdfs etc much different than on the bigger Xr? I use it all the time for work so that’s quite important. 
Cheers for any thoughts!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    FWIW...2 lads at our place got those and they both been back for repair at least once already..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt,

Yep, had a X from new. Superb phone amazing camera.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    The camera is bloody good.   A friend of mine has one and shot this on it....

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I get a new iPhone every year, I went from the X (great phone) to the XS Max this time. The X was great (I had the 7 prior to that) and the extra screen space due to the smaller bezels made a big difference to me plus having an OLED screen was much nicer.

I decided to go with the XS Max this time, it's pretty much the same size as a plus handset but a much bigger screen.
    It's fab
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Son works for O2, and has an iPhone X as is work phone and a OnePlus6 as his personal one, let's say the OnePlus6 is superior in every way 
  • I’ve had an XS about 6 weeks, including a 2 week trip to Japan. Aside from needing a hard reset to fix a black screen this morning it’s been perfect. Fantastic phone in all respects 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    My 2 years is just up and I went into an EE shop last weekend to check out my options; the assistant priced up a deal for an XR which was "only" £20 a month more than my current 7 and if I downgraded my 2 boys' plans, which seemed a lot.

When I asked if that could be done for less he said he could price it without the Apple Watch - what frikkin Apple Watch, I never said I wanted one of those!

So then I tried to get the precise amount the phone would cost me vs. going SIM-only, so he priced SIM-only at 14 + 14 + 17 = 53 and came up with another number which was just a bit more.

Well, after I let him know that 14 + 14 + 17 = 43 I asked him what the outright price of an XR would be and he wrote down 800 and started doing some sums.

A quick bit of mental arithmetic and I figured they wanted a bit over £200 extra off me over the 2-year contract, so I said that wasn't a very good APR and I think I'd decline that deal.

I asked if they sell the phones separately and he said no, so I said I'd drop back to SIM-only and think about buying one elsewhere.

At that point he said yes, tbh, I'd be better off buying one at John Lewis.

I think I'll stick with my 7 for a while...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought an Xr today for Mrs T in the Apple shop.  Spent a lot of time comparing the X, Xs and Xr and in they end the difference was minimal.   The screen resolution is slightly less on the Xr v the X but still better than the 5 she's currently using, similarly the camera is slightly down on spec v the X but still a bit improvement over her current phone.  As long as it lasts 18 month then its cheaper to buy outright than get it on a contract.  She's had the current phone for 3 and half years. 

• Thanks all - helpful feedback. 
  • I’ve had an XS about 6 weeks, including a 2 week trip to Japan. Aside from needing a hard reset to fix a black screen this morning it’s been perfect. Fantastic phone in all respects 
    Can I ask whether you ever feel you would appreciate having the Xs Max for looking at documents or does the increased screen size relative to the 6s etc seem to be enough?

• wibble said:
    I get a new iPhone every year, I went from the X (great phone) to the XS Max this time. The X was great (I had the 7 prior to that) and the extra screen space due to the smaller bezels made a big difference to me plus having an OLED screen was much nicer.

I decided to go with the XS Max this time, it's pretty much the same size as a plus handset but a much bigger screen.
    It's fab
    I usually use a folio style case - can you put one of these Max models in your trouser pocket fairly easily? 
    I didn’t feel comfortable trying this in a shop for fear of arrest :-)
  • prowla said:
    My 2 years is just up and I went into an EE shop last weekend to check out my options; the assistant priced up a deal for an XR which was "only" £20 a month more than my current 7 and if I downgraded my 2 boys' plans, which seemed a lot.

When I asked if that could be done for less he said he could price it without the Apple Watch - what frikkin Apple Watch, I never said I wanted one of those!

So then I tried to get the precise amount the phone would cost me vs. going SIM-only, so he priced SIM-only at 14 + 14 + 17 = 53 and came up with another number which was just a bit more.

Well, after I let him know that 14 + 14 + 17 = 43 I asked him what the outright price of an XR would be and he wrote down 800 and started doing some sums.

A quick bit of mental arithmetic and I figured they wanted a bit over £200 extra off me over the 2-year contract, so I said that wasn't a very good APR and I think I'd decline that deal.

I asked if they sell the phones separately and he said no, so I said I'd drop back to SIM-only and think about buying one elsewhere.

At that point he said yes, tbh, I'd be better off buying one at John Lewis.

I think I'll stick with my 7 for a while...
    This ^

Had a similar conversation with O2 recently. I now have a Xs on the Apple annual new phone scheme thing and a sim-only contract from O2 (cheaper than anything O2 could give me). 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    edited December 2018
    So the start of this week I was using a iPhone 6(not the s), found a deal online which is with Vodafone with iPhone XR, £50 up front and £36 per month for 24 months.

100G data 
    unlimited calls, text etc

tota £914.

i am with 3 and currently on £20 sim only with unlimited data, 200mins (don’t care) and 200 text (don’t care) I went into the shop and the best deal they could give me was £200 up front and £50 a month (£1400 total) for the iPhone XR so I called up and asked for my PAC code.

i came away with 

iPhone XR 64G
    100G data
    unlimited everything 

nothing upfront, £41 a month, total £984.  £70 more than Vodafone package but it also includes tether and free data to Hong Kong and the US, more countries than Vodafone.

basically the maths works out at.

Was paying £20 x 24 = £480 so that means the phone cost me £504.  It retails for £750 so £246 saving.

• I do like those red Xrs
    mattdavis said:
    I do like those red Xrs
    I couldn't decide for ages whether I want to go with the classic white or go to a colour.  I've seen them all in the flesh a couple of times before and the red is the nicest.  But in the end I went for red because now if i want a red phone i can, and if i put any other case on it, you won't see the colour anyway.  
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My contract is up in a few weeks and I’m trying to decide whether to stay with apple and upgrade my iPhone 7 or hang on until March and try the Samsung S10.  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Last month I renewed our sim only contract. In the course of this I had a discussion with the techy about handsets to replace my 5SE, and my wife’s 6, which are both showing signs of ageing. His view was to wait until the prices drop after Christmas, and then go for an XR. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Last month I renewed our sim only contract. In the course of this I had a discussion with the techy about handsets to replace my 5SE, and my wife’s 6, which are both showing signs of ageing. His view was to wait until the prices drop after Christmas, and then go for an XR. 
    The XR is the best bang for buck Apple phone out.  It the innards of the XS without the price tag.  Better battery, good size.  Forget what people say about the screen, I've seen them side by side in the store and I can hardly tell the difference and you sure won't miss it if you've never had it.  Also, because it has less pixels, the same CPU has less pixels to push so it is actually a faster phone in some ways (even though 1G ram less, 3 vs 4, but like i said, less pixels to push).

It has a glass back, wireless charging, same wide angle camera, same front facing camera and Face ID. 

As for sales of the XR, you might get a tiny bit off but I doubt there will be much, like most Apple stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavis said:
    I’ve had an XS about 6 weeks, including a 2 week trip to Japan. Aside from needing a hard reset to fix a black screen this morning it’s been perfect. Fantastic phone in all respects 
    Can I ask whether you ever feel you would appreciate having the Xs Max for looking at documents or does the increased screen size relative to the 6s etc seem to be enough?
    I didn’t see the point, personally. Coming from a 6 (non-S) The screen is a chunk bigger without the body being significantly so. I use it for work as well as personal, including plenty of looking at email attachments, and haven’t had issues. I’ll occasionally turn it landscape to read something small, but it’s no issue.

I’d rather keep the smaller form factor over the bigger screen size. Any bigger and I’d struggle to use it one handed too; even now I can’t reach the top of the screen with the hand that’s holding it, but use the reachibility option a lot
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mattdavis said:
    I’ve had an XS about 6 weeks, including a 2 week trip to Japan. Aside from needing a hard reset to fix a black screen this morning it’s been perfect. Fantastic phone in all respects 
    I didn’t see the point, personally. Coming from a 6 (non-S) The screen is a chunk bigger without the body being significantly so. I use it for work as well as personal, including plenty of looking at email attachments, and haven’t had issues. I’ll occasionally turn it landscape to read something small, but it’s no issue.

I’d rather keep the smaller form factor over the bigger screen size. Any bigger and I’d struggle to use it one handed too; even now I can’t reach the top of the screen with the hand that’s holding it, but use the reachibility option a lot
    Cheers - that’s good to know. I suspect I’d find the bulk more annoying for the majority of the time I’m carrying it and not looking at docs!