Basic Dropbox question

If you have a work laptop with folders in a synched Dropbox and your employer takes it back and uninstalls Dropbox/deletes the files would you still have access to them, but just have to log in to your Dropbox from another PC? 

Apologies that sounds very basic info. 

Im perhaps getting confused between a synched back up service relying on a physical local storage drive versus full cloud storage? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited December 2018
    If you log into Dropbox from another machine via their web portal you can remove the laptop as one of the synced devices. As long as your employer doesn't log in as you and then deletes the files you should be OK. You can always undelete files from the web portal.
  • Cool so just *if* I think I may have the lappy removed just unsych that device before going in to HQ and then all the files will remain in Dropbox cloud.  Cheers. 

• Thanks man, though I’m feeling google shamed. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    FWIW if it's a personal Dropbox account on a work device, and I was in charge of the IT in the business, I'd be hunting you down to chop you into tiny pieces and bury the remains in the woods :)

It's not good for work, and it's not good for you.  Neither is setting up your Facebook profile on your work email address, then quitting … the temptation to be totally unprofessional is very nearly overwhelming at times.
  • Yes and yes I’m sure that’s coming hence the questions. Although it’s only 4 months since I got a new lappy and IT sat and watched me set up Dropbox on it.  

We have not historically been provided with any viable back up options for field workers.  

Recently we just had a security update which disables export to USB. 

Surely no one goes postal on Facebook , we have LinkedIn for that 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Yeah, if they're not providing you with appropriate company-managed resources it doesn't help and changes the picture somewhat.  However, in your shoes I think I'd set up a separate Dropbox/OneDrive/Google account (having checked your AUP first) against your company email address, and shove all the work stuff in that, rather than using your personal Dropbox account.

If they call you into a meeting and take all the gear off you, you're going to end up potentially more embarrassed than they are if the laptop has access to all your personal stuff.

The FB comment was more about a number of people who have left one of our clients having setup their personal FB account using their work email. Once they leave have ultimate control over the email address, so at times it's extremely tempting to redirect it all to me, then do a password recovery, and then wipe their profile. I don't, because I'm more professional than that, but oh, the temptation …

The only time to mix work accounts and personal accounts on the same kit is when you own the business.