Amp recommendations

Hi, I am looking for an all rounder amp to gig (guitar pop / rock) and also to practice jazz and blues. I play a telecaster, I will be sharing the amp with my son who plays a strat. We currently use a Peavy Bandit but want to update to a better amp.
Any suggestions to get me started?

Many thanks.

Paul

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    If it's to gig - a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Quite a price jump from a Bandit but used ones are good value.
  • Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Deluxe would be a nice step up 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Paul-MCR said:
    Hi, I am looking for an all rounder amp to gig (guitar pop / rock) and also to practice jazz and blues. I play a telecaster, I will be sharing the amp with my son who plays a strat. We currently use a Peavy Bandit but want to update to a better amp.
    Peavey Special.

:)

(It's basically a more powerful Bandit.)

Be careful what you wish for - there are two players I know who started off with Bandits, one a Solo Series and one a first-version Transtube. They've both been around the block several times on the usual valve-amp roundabout, and never been completely happy with their sounds, or the functionality of the amps, or various niggling problems like the effects loops, and neither have ever been as happy with their sounds as they were with the original Peaveys. But for some reason neither will just go and buy another one...

The Bandit is a really good amp. Just because it doesn't have valves in or modelling, don't underestimate it.

If you want a suggestion for a more expensive valve amp, look for a secondhand Mesa, probably an Express series since they're among the best value for money and cover a lot of sound options. I wouldn't pay the sort of price any Mesa is new in this country.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Paul-MCR said:
    Peavey Special.

:)

(It's basically a more powerful Bandit.)

Be careful what you wish for - there are two players I know who started off with Bandits, one a Solo Series and one a first-version Transtube. They've both been around the block several times on the usual valve-amp roundabout, and never been completely happy with their sounds, or the functionality of the amps, or various niggling problems like the effects loops, and neither have ever been as happy with their sounds as they were with the original Peaveys. But for some reason neither will just go and buy another one...

The Bandit is a really good amp. Just because it doesn't have valves in or modelling, don't underestimate it.

If you want a suggestion for a more expensive valve amp, look for a secondhand Mesa, probably an Express series since they're among the best value for money and cover a lot of sound options. I wouldn't pay the sort of price any Mesa is new in this country.
    Was going to suggest a Mesa also! Someone selling a very cheap Stiletto on here (which is their ‘Marshall killer’). 

Peavey Encore 65 is sort of a valve bandit. I liked mine, wish I hadn’t sold it!
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3856
    The answer to 'what amp?' is always Lazy J 20. :0)
  • Thanks for the feedback! A lot to think about. I have had a look at the Fenders and I must admit I am very impressed. I will check out Mesa and other Peavey options though.