What instrument is this?

What's Hot
I'm having a classical night in and then I see these things at 1:47 and on and off throughout because you can hardly bloody miss 'em!
Sort of like a cross between a guitar, a lute, and a telegraph pole.
What are they?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    At a guess I'd say some sort of (baroque) mandocello......?
  • I think it's a Theorbo. Check out Lute Duo (they are excellent)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Been listening to some Lute Duo videos -- good call.
    And on spotting the hitherto unheard of theorbo.
    I found this interesting in between the goofing about:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Funny.......I love classical music especially Baroque music but I hate choral music,Gregorian chant, Plainsong,Lieder etc
  • Yep, deffo a Theorbo. It's like a baritone lute.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I recently sold mine, though it didn't have quite the extended bass range of some;

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d8oyll.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited December 2018

p90fool said:
    I recently sold mine, though it didn't have quite the extended bass range of some;

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d8oyll.jpg

Awesome instrument!

Good for you @Grunfeld ;;;for bucking the Christmas music trend!

I love Montiverdi’s Vespers, it’s so beautiful and ambitious and textured. Amazing when you think that Bach had not even come on the scene. 

If you want to dip into a more modern Vespers, try Rachmaninov’s Vespers, for voices only. It’s achingly beautiful. He pretended to try and stick to the liturgical, pious music demanded by the Russian orthodoxy but couldn’t help his romantic writing slipping into it throughout which got him into trouble. 

Unfortunately Youtube doesn’t have many good full recordings but there are some good snippets. If you can get the Best/Corydon or the Short/Tenebrae recording, do, they’re amazing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2018
    viz said:
    ...try Rachmaninov’s Vespers.... the Short/Tenebrae recording
    @viz ; Mad inspiration!
    Just d/l'd the flac from the Tenebrae site.
    While I was there I saw they're doing the Bach Mass in B minor in Oxford on 1st February next year and I'm trying to persuade my friend to come along.  Failing that I'll just go by myself.
    And to round it off I've finally booked myself tickets to the ballet!  I've wanted to do this for ages, like years.  Now I'm sorted!  Took like, 5 minutes!  Again, don't know anyone else into it so bollocks to it, I'll go by myself!
    Cheers!

• I'm going to see Messiah in Hereford cathedral next week :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Grunfeld said:
    viz said:
    ...try Rachmaninov’s Vespers.... the Short/Tenebrae recording
    @viz ; Mad inspiration!
    Just d/l'd the flac from the Tenebrae site.
    While I was there I saw they're doing the Bach Mass in B minor in Oxford on 1st February next year and I'm trying to persuade my friend to come along.  Failing that I'll just go by myself.
    And to round it off I've finally booked myself tickets to the ballet!  I've wanted to do this for ages, like years.  Now I'm sorted!  Took like, 5 minutes!  Again, don't know anyone else into it so bollocks to it, I'll go by myself!
    Cheers!

Awesome :) 

It’s quite a long piece and you don’t have to listen to it all in one go; if you want a bite sized chunk try no 5, the nunc dimittis: it has this lamenting see-saw slow rocking motion as the tenor solo expresses grief, then it builds up inexorably with the basses taking up the story, then the trebles start to climb up to one of the greatest climaxes ever, then BAM! - but that lasts for just a fleeting moment, followed by silence and then a series of clear bells sung by the upper voices, as the piece winds down again into the depths of sad prayer. Sublime. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.