Blending two amps

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198

I have been experimenting with a two amp set up recently – a Dirty Shirley and Tweed deluxe split via Strymon Deco. 

Interestingly I now prefer the sound of the two amps blended than either amp individually.  I guess where the tweed sounds quite soft and squishy and the DS quite hard and crunchy they combine really nicely.   And that’s before you get in to all the fun you can have with stereo effects J

So, who else uses two amp rigs and what combinations of amps work well together?   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I used to use two amps all the time when gigging.  
    My first stereo rig was a Mesa F50 with a Budda SuperDrive 18, then a Mesa Mk.V with a Vox AC15HWX, then finally swapped the AC15 for  Budda SuperDrive 80.
    Just reverb and a slight slapback delay on the Mesas, and a longer delay on the others.
    I found it really helpful in single guitar bands to fill the sound out.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2018
    I just do it for fun at home now and is just a massive buzz to sit in an 'auditorium' of tone!

I have so many options I will probably never even get round to them all!

Many would be impractical live (well for the sort of live we mostly play) or, the complexities of the tones totally lost on a pissed-up load of 30+ hens on a last night of freedom touraround...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited December 2018
    I gig my 5e3 and my 2x10 18watt.
    i dont do anything fancy, just split the signal with an a/b box.

The 5e3 breaks up quite early and the 18watt is fairly “clean” till flat out so it adds a bit of sparkle to the sound... but... the 18watt takes a boost really well and cuts through when widdly bits are needed...

smaller gigs i just take the 5e3
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I've just started gigging a 5e3 and princeton. Mono split with a humdinger. Easier carry than a 2x12 and sounds fab at pub levels
  • Fender Prosonic & Supersonic Twin. 

Loud... louder... loudest. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I don't do it live (some of the pubs that I play have barely got room for one amp) but I'll quite often do it whilst home recording.  I'll usually lay a part down using my Kemper so I'll record the profiled sound but also take a DI feed to a separate track.  I can then 're-amp' the DI'd track either with a different Kemper profile or, more usually, a VST plug in (I don't record with the VST as I have my buffer, and hence latency, set high.  I direct monitor when recording).  I find that it can work quite well to load the effects onto one amp whilst keeping the other quite dry.  It gives the sound more definition.

For bass I almost always use two sounds with one amp (clean) being heavily compressed to give meat and the other amp with the lows rolled off and a bit of distortion.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I use a Fender Tweed Bassman with a Marshall JTM45 (with 2x12 cab). 

I use them wet and dry with the Marshall being the wet amp. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    What you folk need is my TC Mimiq.....fantastic double tracker going into each amp for stereo double tracking
    the effect is a huge wall of sound
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2018
    My sexiest pairing in terms of tones and looks is  ~Blonde Supersonic 60 and 65' Super Reverb~

Albert Hall stage-filler!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123 said:
    I've just started gigging a 5e3 and princeton. Mono split with a humdinger. Easier carry than a 2x12 and sounds fab at pub levels
    This is what I may think about doing. Just got a rift pr18 and was thinking about getting a matching rift tweed 15 in grey tweed :) either that or pairing the Princeton style amp with a vox ac15... mmm 

the mids in the tweed and the scooped mids from the blackface should really work?! 

• JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    I use a Matchless Nighthawk and Milkman creamer in stereo pretty much exclusively now, such a killer combo! 
  • I don't use it personally but I really like the Marshall "Dookie Mod" rig, with 2 Marshall heads modded and used together.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Two amps always sound awesome to me...

I plan to try my Carr Mercury V alongside the Kemper... should be interesting 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    If you ever need a splitter with phase switch I might be selling mine soon @Fishboy7. I won't be using any wet / dry anymore 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    the guitar player in a local blues band I used to follow in my teens (in the 80s) got a truly glorious sound running a Fender head (sorry I don't know which one) in parallel with a 50w non-mv Marshall, not into the PA obviously.