Noble OD1

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
I heard a noble   OD1 playing through a cleanish amp the other day and it sounded fantastic.   Any one got one/ played one?   Looking for opinions on it.   Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited December 2018
    Yes -- it was the only OD on my board for a couple of years.
    Set the amp just a smidge short of break up and the OD-1 could do the rest.
    It's actually got a lot of versatility in it but there's a magic sound with the settings around "6, 6, 6," which is just killer. 
    I've only recently taken it off for something ridiculous for a while but I know the Nobel will be returning.  It really is my favourite OD for just about everything. 

• Nobels ODR-1?

If so yeah great, big fat OD that can make a single coil bridge sing.  Great pedal....
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    I'm aware that the Nobels ODR-1 gets a lot of love, but I once bought a Nobels phaser as spares-or-repair, and the build quality was decidedly shonky - the pots in particular were awful.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    If you mean the Nobels ODR-1 then yes I’ve got one and it’s great. Very hard to get a bad sound out of it and with a Tele it’s incredible. All the Nashville guys use them.

Build quality isn’t as good as some pedals but there are a few boutique makers who have pedals based on the same circuit.
  • Thanks guys.  I'm encouraged.  Might try one of these out sometime then.  Cheers
  • I've had mine for a few years now and it's never left my board (sits beside a Helix!) I use it with gain on about 1-2 into a clean amp then hit it with an RC or BB Preamp. There are great sounds higher up the gain range too especially likes between 4-5. The build quality is no nonsense but it is quite large
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    It didn't seem to care for P90s very much but my Strat loved it. The spectrum control really is something else.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 272
    ...saw they released a mini version a few months ago, if space is an issue...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    I bought one when I struggled to find a natural, gentle overdrive at low volume for my Princeton, and it works perfectly. 

I wanted a pedal which I could dial in to sound like the amp itself, then add some gain and it works with any clean amp, not just Blackface types.  
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    timbuk02 said:
    ...saw they released a mini version a few months ago, if space is an issue...

Ooh... Colour me interested!
  • how is it into a dirty/crunchy/on the verge amp? 
  • how is it into a dirty/crunchy/on the verge amp? 
    How I use mine, into low gain Marshall JVM, and it’s stellar 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    edited December 2018
    It's does seem quite tasty from all these comments.  Might treat myself in the January sales
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 272
    Nice to see a demo thats not just about loadsa gain...  (tho there is that too)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Keefy said:
    I'm aware that the Nobels ODR-1 gets a lot of love, but I once bought a Nobels phaser as spares-or-repair, and the build quality was decidedly shonky - the pots in particular were awful.
    I’m also aware of the love for them, but I just don't get it - to me they’ve never sounded anything more than very boring - not bad in any way, just completely uninspiring.

There’s also a notorious fault with some early ones, which is caused by a bit of bad PCB etching and makes them self-oscillate when the level is turned right down - but not in a good way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    I’m also aware of the love for them, but I just don't get it - to me they’ve never sounded anything more than very boring - not bad in any way, just completely uninspiring.

There’s also a notorious fault with some early ones, which is caused by a bit of bad PCB etching and makes them self-oscillate when the level is turned right down - but not in a good way.
    I would agree that it is boring. Thats exactly how I like my drives though- just want them to sound like "guitar". Coming up with parts for songs etc can be fun with prices that have lots of colour and character but for my board I like them all pretty boring sounding. The KOT is an excellent example of what I would call a boring overdrive