New Barefaced guitar cabs.

What's Hot
fftcfftc Frets: 559
edited December 2018 in Amps
Barefaced have released their new guitar cabs. Haven't heard them yet but the bass cabs are very well regarded. I love my One10.

https://barefacedaudio.com/products/gx

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Picture in a separate post as the forum software still doesn't work for me!

• Do they have entertaining names like ‘Cheek’ and ‘Lies’?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26580
    edited December 2018
    The trouble here is that the bass cabs sound much bigger than they are (or have any right to be, given the laws of physics etc). From the description it seems these 1x10" cabs are designed specifically to sound like open-back 1x12" cabs as far as I can tell, which is usually something that guitarists don't want to sound like.

If they could make a 1x10" or 1x12" that sounds like a beefy 2x12" at proper gig levels, I'd be all over it.
    <space for hire>
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    edited December 2018
    Much better logo. The old one was terrible imo. Still a bit too large though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited December 2018
    The trouble here is that the bass cabs sound much bigger than they are (or have any right to be, given the laws of physics etc). From the description it seems these 1x10" cabs are designed specifically to sound like open-back 1x12" cabs as far as I can tell, which is usually something that guitarists don't want to sound like.

If they could make a 1x10" or 1x12" that sounds like a beefy 2x12" at proper gig levels, I'd be all over it.
    I think a lot of guitarists like open-back 1x12”s. Combos of that size are the most popular guitar amps by far. Whether that’s active preference, I’m not sure.

Most guitarists who use 2x12”s use them wrong, too - that includes me, since it’s usually impractical to stand a 2x12” combo on its end. As Barefaced say, they need to be vertical to perform best.

If the cabs sound like a slightly bigger, chunkier open-back 1x12” I think that’s pretty much ideal.

Surprising choice of speaker and grille cloth for the ‘British’ model though - a Celestion and basketweave cloth would be much more appropriate. The black looks cheap.

And green is the wrong colour for the ‘American’ model...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BarefacedAudioBarefacedAudio Frets: 34
    tFB Trader

I don't think I've done a very good job of explaining how they sound then! They're beefier sounding than closed back cabs but have even better dispersion then open backed cabs. The GX 1x10" has almost as much oomph as a closed-back 2x10" and the GXII 1x12" is closer to a closed-back 2x12" in big chunky weighty output - but because they throw mids and highs out of the back through the diffracting vent it's much easier to hear the cab if you're standing too close to it, to the side of it, or are in a room with boomy or reflective acoustics.

And if you don't like the big sound, flick the Lo Cut switch and they sound and feel more like an open-backed cab.

Writing about music really is harder than dancing about architecture! ;-) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Interesting new design - what speakers in the 12" ?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26580
    edited December 2018

I don't think I've done a very good job of explaining how they sound then! They're beefier sounding than closed back cabs but have even better dispersion then open backed cabs. The GX 1x10" has almost as much oomph as a closed-back 2x10" and the GXII 1x12" is closer to a closed-back 2x12" in big chunky weighty output - but because they throw mids and highs out of the back through the diffracting vent it's much easier to hear the cab if you're standing too close to it, to the side of it, or are in a room with boomy or reflective acoustics.

And if you don't like the big sound, flick the Lo Cut switch and they sound and feel more like an open-backed cab.

Writing about music really is harder than dancing about architecture! ;-) 
    Heh...we don't talk about architecture round here (I'll explain tomorrow...).

Anyway, it sounds like the 1x12" might be the ticket for me...with that said, I usually end up with a mic in front, so I'm also curious as to how much of a difference the enclosure makes when you push it through a mic and then the PA (or recording).

This is probably the first product that's piqued my interest since...Helix Native, actually, and we all know what happened there...
    <space for hire>

• Heh...we don't talk about architecture round here (I'll explain tomorrow...).

The picture of a moat, full of fish on bicycles, springs unbidden to mind.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarefacedAudioBarefacedAudio Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    Schmo said:

Eminence CV75 in the British version and GA-SC64 in the American. The CV75 does the iconic 1970's Celestion sound better than any speaker in current production I've heard! And the SC64 is just lovely for a more '60s sound.
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Schmo said:

Eminence CV75 in the British version and GA-SC64 in the American. The CV75 does the iconic 1970's Celestion sound better than any speaker in current production I've heard! And the SC64 is just lovely for a more '60s sound.
    Thanks, I'm interested...look forward to the release & further reviews.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader

Have you ever tried the ported "Cube" cabinets, for a 1 x 12" cab they sound really good. Suhr and Bogner make or used to make them, I make one too
  • The trouble here is that the bass cabs sound much bigger than they are (or have any right to be, given the laws of physics etc). From the description it seems these 1x10" cabs are designed specifically to sound like open-back 1x12" cabs as far as I can tell, which is usually something that guitarists don't want to sound like.

Have you ever tried the ported "Cube" cabinets, for a 1 x 12" cab they sound really good. Suhr and Bogner make or used to make them, I make one too
    Nope, although I'm warming to the idea of these Barefaced cabs. The 1x12" sounds like it could be a winner...
    <space for hire>