Best Amp for Kemper /Helix .........using loop

DominicDominic Frets: 16095
OK.....before everybody screams that you'/re supposed to go direct/'FRFR etc ....I find the price of a good FRFR set up a bit jarring and have heard some great tones using the loop of a fairly neutral amp albeit slightly coloured ( some might say 'warmed")
..........if you spent similar money to a good FRFR on an amp you would have a separate amplification source / back -up etc
What would be a good amp for this .......one that isn't hard to find used and at a reasonable price
I'm sure a lumpy ,heavy old twin would be great but that is hard work
Obviously it has to have a loop
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Didn’t you have a Mission Gemini or some such?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    yes.......regretably long gone ;gave up on modelling and now having a second go at it 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 917
    In my experience you need to look for an amp with a good series fx loop so you can run the modeller into the return and 6L6 valves which are a bit more neutral sounding than EL34's or EL84's.

I've had good results with a Wharfedale TCT35 combo but they're not that easy to find used.
    cheap tho'..........I had one about 3 years go....sold for £120 because I saw it as a poor man's Marshall
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 917
    Yeah, perception is everything despite the fact that they were designed by Steve Grindrod (who designed most of the 'proper' Marshalls) and they're far better made than most of Marshall's current or recent output. They really benefit from a speaker change though.
    I saw you commented on my old sales thread for the one I had in which I said the speaker was shit
  • I imagine something like a Roland JC40 or JC120 would do the job very well. Effects loop and stereo speakers.
    Thats what I thought