Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... I fell down the rabbit hole with pedals again....

What's Hot

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3851
    Lebarque said:
    How anyone who is in an active, gigging band can be arsed with a mega board I'll never know.

Fair play if it works for you but like @icbm the hassle of the damn things outweighs the pleasure for me. So whilst I rock a fairly sizable pedalboard at home - if I ever start playing guitar in a band again it'll be a helix or a mini board for me! 
    Hmmm. Gotta disagree with this @UnclePsychosis . What's the hassle after you've wired it up? Just flop it out and rock. Bend over for a slight tweak if necessary. Compared to getting lost in digital menu fuckwittery with a Helix and forgetting to actually play...
    It's the weight. The faff of carrying it about, particularly on public transport. The "where the fuck do I stand?" problem that arises on the flea-pit stages that pass for venues these days. The "which of the 47 patch cables is the intermittent one?" problem. Etc etc. 

Like I said, I'm quite happy to use lots of pedals at home, just not out and about! 
    Fair play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Nemesis, Ventris, and true Spring form Source Audio cured me on the delay/reverb front. I am a bit tempted by the Empress Reverb and Echosystem, but I can;t convince myself that I need anything more than the SA pedals offer.

In fact, other than my SA pedals, I only own dirt. It was a long road to get there, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• So here is one variation. It would be very capable and give me plenty of stacking options. The ES5 also allows me to re-arrange the gain effects too, which is something the Helix cannot do.

However it's almost 4kg heavier than the Helix, and that is without cables and the Zuma underneath the board!!

Also I don't have a bag for my PT3 :-1: 
    You can't rearrange gain effects with Helix? Do you mean rearrange the order and placement of the loops?

• So here is one variation. It would be very capable and give me plenty of stacking options. The ES5 also allows me to re-arrange the gain effects too, which is something the Helix cannot do.

However it's almost 4kg heavier than the Helix, and that is without cables and the Zuma underneath the board!!

You can't rearrange gain effects with Helix? Do you mean rearrange the order and placement of the loops?
    Yeah, so on the Helix you can't re-arrange the blocks on the fly.

On the Boss you plug pedals into loops 1-5, but they don't have to go 1>2>3>4>5. You could do 4>5>2>3>1 if you wanted.

That's something the Helix doesn't do.

Bye!

On the Boss you plug pedals into loops 1-5, but they don't have to go 1>2>3>4>5. You could do 4>5>2>3>1 if you wanted.

Not sure I'mquite following, you can pick blocks up and move them in Helix, and you can obviously rearrange them in any order you want in the different patches- even in parallel or with crossover splits etc.

Do you mean there's an option on the Boss to quickly arrange to different permutations perhaps linked to a foot switch or something?

Not sure I'mquite following, you can pick blocks up and move them in Helix, and you can obviously rearrange them in any order you want in the different patches- even in parallel or with crossover splits etc.

Do you mean there's an option on the Boss to quickly arrange to different permutations perhaps linked to a foot switch or something?
    Yeah sorry, what I mean is the Boss can re-arrange them per preset. Imagine in the Snapshots on the Helix if you could change routing and FX position.

Bye!

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    newi123 said:
    Out of interest - what kind of music do you guys play that requires so many different types of delay?
    A perfectly sensible question. If you checkout www.bridgedisaster.co.uk you'll hear.

Checked out - great stuff. You guys gig & where you based?
  • newi123 said:
    newi123 said:
    Out of interest - what kind of music do you guys play that requires so many different types of delay?
    A perfectly sensible question. If you checkout www.bridgedisaster.co.uk you'll hear.

Checked out - great stuff. You guys gig & where you based?
    Yeah we play shows, but in a bit of a writing mode right now. We're based in London. Looking to get out into Europe next year.

Bye!

• ICBM said:
    For me, the hatred of building pedalboards trumps any desire to use individual pedals again - I’m doing one for a friend this week, and every time I say I won’t do one again I somehow get sucked back in...

But for me personally, no. The final revelation was that the individual pedals didn’t actually sound quite as good as the models, instead of the other way round - and that’s only with a Boss ME-50.
    You keep saying how much you like the ME-50. How long have you had it now? You're making me want to try one again. I had one gajillions of years ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    gearaddict said:

You keep saying how much you like the ME-50. How long have you had it now? You're making me want to try one again. I had one gajillions of years ago.
    This one, about a year and a half. I am quite definitely not selling it though - it's the third one I've owned (almost the fourth, since I owned one twice!) over a combined total of about five years I think - and I've come to the conclusion it does most of what I want better than anything else, and there isn't anything that does everything I want. And it just sounds great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Okay, after some testing I've decided that I don't really need the Blackstar LT Dist on the board. It's a cracking pedal, but since I have a 3 and a 4 channel amp, it's not required.

What I think I may need is three delays and two reverbs. Two delays and one reverb in front of the amp, and the third delay and second reverb in the amps effects loop.

It's situations like that where the Helix in 4-cable-method is really damn simple and easy to use.

Bye!

• Still wondering why you haven't gone for something like the HX Stomp to compliment the others?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Still wondering why you haven't gone for something like the HX Stomp to compliment the others?
    Considering he only uses one sounds per pedal the Stomp is worth it just for the Space Echo imo
  • Just been listening to Truth Escapes from your website.  It a darn good track.  

• Just been listening to Truth Escapes from your website.  It a darn good track.  
    Cheers man! :)

So I had a very strange experience today. I was originally thinking of swapping my RV-500 for an MXR Reverb and a RV6, because I wasn't really sure if the RV-500 was getting me into the "zone" in terms of ambient sounds, and I was preferring the Big Sky.

So I compared the Ventris, RV-500, RV-5, and Big Sky this arvo after getting my latest iteration all setup.

I was focusing on ambient Hall sounds, because that's usually what I go for with the TNBD stuff. Anyway ... comparing them.... The Big Sky SUCKED.

I don't really like the Hall on the Big Sky - it's not dirty or characterful enough.

Bye!

• The latest incarnation.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, so at the moment this thread is just seemingly me being a gloaty McGloatenstein, but I am super into this configuration.

I need to secure the Fallout Cloud with some velcro or dual lock, and I'm not entirely sure about the EQ on there. I might switch it out for my Tempode midi-clock generator so that I can recover switch 5 on the ES5 - at the moment it's setup for 4 presets and switch 5 to always be tap tempo, which feeds all of the digital glory boxes.

Bye!

• WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited December 2018
    So I'm thinking of either getting the MXR Reverb or a Boss RV-6 and replacing the RV-5 with it. Reason being, I should be able to take a control out from the Boss ES5 and go into the expression pedal input on either of those pedals, and use a control switch output on the ES5 to enable or bypass the single pedal. Meaning easier stacking. I'm leaning towards the RV-6, because the way the expression pedal works is that it basically changes the 'wet input trim' so that when you roll back completely, you get just the dry guitar. It allows for trails, basically.

The other thing is... if I start using my VH4 in the band, then I don't really need the GE7 on the board. Which means I can put my Tempode pedal in it's place, and recover the 5th switch on the ES5.

I'm trying to keep the thing as small as I can!!

Bye!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I'm trying to keep the thing as small as I can!!
    Bollocks to that. Get a PT terra. And use this and helix and VH4 live. Get a donkey and cart for transport. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2018
    Still wondering why you haven't gone for something like the HX Stomp to compliment the others?
    Considering he only uses one sounds per pedal the Stomp is worth it just for the Space Echo imo
    Is that the Cosmos Echo?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.