New Boss pedal - flat battery and chipped paint

What's Hot
Quick question- I ordered a new boss Waza pedal. It arrived with the battery already installed and which only lasted for about two hours of play.

The pedal also had some chips and marks.

Im guessing this isn’t normal for a brand new pedal and that the retailer has just sent me a returned unit and pretended it’s new?
Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Did you buy it from GuitarGuitar?
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Does sound suspiciously like either a return or the demo pedal boxed back up.  I wouldn't be happy about it.  I'd be sending pics back with an email complaint and asking for an actual new one (or a massive discount for accepting the returned one).
  • Did you buy it from GuitarGuitar?
    Dawsons, as guitarguitar was the only other place showing stock at the time ;-)
  • The last time I went into Dawsons in Manchester, most of the basses looked absolutely hammered. 

Lot's of younger musicians picking things off the wall and generally it was a bit chaotic.

They should not be sending a pedal, especially a more expensive Waza version, in anything other than absolutely new condition with the packaging, instructions etc.

Send it back and complain about the condition. Otherwise they won't learn. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye. I wondered if it was normal for boss to install the battery and that maybe the retailer had just gotten unlucky with this unit...is looking more like a return or demo though..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Boss pedals do arrive with batteries in situ and if it's a digital pedal then it's likely the battery won't last long. They shouldn't arrive damaged though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Jez - it’s not a digital pedal but info appreciated, at least I know the battery install is normal 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited December 2018
    I always thought that the battery was installed but still in its wrapping iyswim but then it’s been years since a bought a Boss Pedal new 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, the Boss pedals do come with batteries and I think somewhere they once used to say they were for testing and for initial use only, and that they would need replacing.

Mind you. Any marks/chips should not be there. Boss pedals usually arrive absolutely perfect, as their QC is top notch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    I find Dawsons hit or miss. Boss pedals come with battery's installed however paint chips are not normal. I think they took one of display and sent that to you?
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Boss pedals come with the battery in place but wrapped up, as far as I remember.

That pedal is definitely used. I would send it back and complain extremely strongly if they won't refund in full or send you a properly new one. If necessary, remind them that selling used goods as new is illegal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ICBM the battery was not wrapped. I had been thinking of accepting a discount but will probably just send this back and get another from elsewhere.

Will probably end up getting the same one drop shipped back to me via another retailer haha
  • Got hold of Dawsons, limited stock of this pedal but they’re so far amenable to sorting this out one way or another. if they follow that through all should be good :-)

Thanks for the help on how they should arrive when new, been a while since I bought a new Boss pedal!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    I have a bunch of boss/ green gp 9 volts still wrapped and even more ehx ones..

Though they are for testing/limited life use in the pedals they come with, they last a bloody long time in my fire alarms for a 'free' battery before they start bleeping at me to change them. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • I had a similar experience with a Helix LT from the same retailer. Kind of took the shine off receiving a new. Although it was well packaged, I clearly wasn't the first to open the box. I returned it in the end and didn't have any problems getting my money back.
  • Definitely not right - the two pedals I got from Boss arrived very well packaged and in perfect condition. There's no way it should be chipped.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    The battery is not an issue. It’s just a battery. 

The chips are are definitely an issue. 
  • I have just one Waza pedal : Tuner. It works well, but, if yours is anything like mine, then it’s best to run it off an external power source. When I was using batteries to begin with, it ate them at the rate of knots.
  • I have just one Waza pedal : Tuner. It works well, but, if yours is anything like mine, then it’s best to run it off an external power source. When I was using batteries to begin with, it ate them at the rate of knots.
    Same! 
  • Yep, I usually run my pedals off a PSU rather than batteries, despite Scott Henderson telling me I'm wrong :-)

I wasn't expecting a cheapie batter to last ages either, was just suspicious that the battery wasn't wrapped and was dead within an hour was another indicator that this one was an ex demo or returned unit.

Hopefully this will all end well - Dawsons has agreed to replace and I'll keep hold of this one until the new stock turns up.

Staff there have been very reasonable once I've gotten hold of them and it looks like they're doing the right thing in terms of making this right.