NAD: Bassbreaker 15

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1042
This just arrived. Been a Blues Jr fan for a while, apparently this is like a modernised version of that. Was looking for a decent amp for the house, taking to practise etc, saw this for a decent price so took a chance. 

It’s the midnight oil version, so comes standard with a Greenback. Will be tomorrow before I can see how it sounds. Anyone using one of these, happy with it?

https://imgur.com/gallery/NCbw8F3
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Tried various Bassbreaker models at my nearest Fender dealership when they were first launched. I was not sufficiently impressed by any of them to flex my debit card. This was probably something to do with my bias in favour of 6L6 and 6V6 output stage valves over anything with EL in its name.

None of this is to say that you should not thoroughly enjoy your new purchase.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had an earlier one with the v-type speaker for about a year. I have to say for the money, it’s a really well put together piece of kit. Far better than a Blues Junior.

The master volume & tone controls  worked really well, the clean & medium gain settings were good. The reverb is passable & the fx loop works but I didn’t bother with it. It sounded really nice with my strat copy, but a bit too brown sounding with my Les Paul. 

The distance between the tubes & the speaker mean that upgrade options are limited. 

Overall you you could certainly do a lot worse for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Tried various Bassbreaker models at my nearest Fender dealership when they were first launched. I was not sufficiently impressed by any of them to flex my debit card. This was probably something to do with my bias in favour of 6L6 and 6V6 output stage valves over anything with EL in its name.

None of this is to say that you should not thoroughly enjoy your new purchase.
    Having built Fender style amps with EL84 and 34 and Marshall style amps with 6v6 and 6l6 I can say that the difference made by the type of OP valve is minimal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    John_A said:
    the difference made by the type of OP valve is minimal
    My remarks are by no means scientific. In a blindfold test, I would not necessarily be able to identify what OP stage valves I am hearing. What I do find is that almost all of the amplifiers I happen to like turn out to have 6L6 or 6V6 bottles in 'em.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Great amp! Coincidentally I came home with a Bassbreaker 007 today. I think they're a great value series of amps. The only one I didn't like was the 18/30 (I don't see much need for a double clean channel amp).
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I picked up a second hand Bassbreaker 15 in the summer, very pleased with it. I had been using a Deville prior, which I've always struggled to get the sound I wanted from, is too bottom heavy, has too limited EQ and is a bit hit and miss with pedals + just too damn heavy.

The Bassbreaker 15 sounds great with all pedals (particularly fuzz), sits well in the mix, has a very effective EQ section and has a good cleanish sound at volume. The Deville now sounds stiff and harsh in comparison.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Epsilon said:
    Great amp! Coincidentally I came home with a Bassbreaker 007 today. I think they're a great value series of amps. The only one I didn't like was the 18/30 (I don't see much need for a double clean channel amp).
    Yeah, I borrowed one of these a while ago to do some recording and was pretty impressed with it. I know they didn't get a brilliant press when released, but i thought it worked well and didn't suffer the small tinny amp syndrome.