So....what's the quintessential Brownface amp?

What's Hot
horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
Teach me
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    edited December 2018

I’m interested in this also.  I liked the Vibroverb reissue I played a few times, and always been intrigued by by the Vibrolux.

The sort of halfway between a tweed and BF appeals too, not too fat, not too scooped.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    6G16 Vibroverb, the only brownface amp with onboard reverb.

2x10", 35w, two channels, bias tremolo. Perfect cleans, amazing OD, takes pedals like no other amp.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    6G16 Vibroverb for sure.

The reissue isn't a bad amp either, but it needs a couple of mods to make it closer to the original - the stock speakers are terrible, and it doesn't have a valve rectifier... which is really too much work to fit, but you can add some series resistance to the power supply to simulate it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What are some classic tracks where I can hear the sound of a 6G16 Vibroverb ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Both Jeff Buckley and Mark Knopfler used the reissues in the 1990s, and SRV used an original I think.

Contrary to what you might sometimes read the amp on the first Dire Straits album is a VibroLUX though - 1x12" not 2x10", and with no reverb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    The brown vibroverb is really its own special thing, and the quintessential brownface is any of the models with the version 2 harmonic tremolo, the 6G4-A Super, 6G4-A Pro or 6G12-A concert, pretty much the same amp just with different speakers and cabinets. I would go so far as to say the Super is the one to get, killer amps!
  • ICBM said:
    Both Jeff Buckley and Mark Knopfler used the reissues in the 1990s, and SRV used an original I think.

Contrary to what you might sometimes read the amp on the first Dire Straits album is a VibroLUX though - 1x12" not 2x10", and with no reverb.
    Ahh, ok ! Well that’s three Artists I really like, had a feeling SRV used one and boy, what a tone !

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    A Rift...... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    6G3 Deluxe for me. I have the Tweed Deluxe and the Blackface Deluxe Reverb RI. Would love to get a Brown to.
    Trem sounds fantastic and I can live with no reverb:

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I read it as "quintessential brownsound amp" then was confused when 5150 wasn't the first amp mentioned.. 

as you were :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited December 2018
    I've never played through a brownface Fender Vibroverb, but I am in the fortunate position of owning one of the @RiftAmps version of this Amp - his most excellent Rift Vibro 63. Loved the sound of it ever since it first landed on my doorstep, and it's what I use with the band that I'm in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Love my Headstrong yebrovibe, which is Headstrong's take on the 63 Vibroverb.

I have it loaded  with good tubes and it easily compares to my vintage amps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    you might want to also ask for typical recordings with a Vibroverb here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brownfacefender/
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>