Rechargeable PP3 9v batteries.. any recommendations?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
Does anyone use these? 

I'm looking for some just to use in my active basses and for the occasional use of my 'archived' pedals (without having to fanny around with PSUs)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I’ve found Eneloop rechargeables to be the best, but sadly they don’t do a 9v version. Duracell is probably decent enough though. 

I get a lot of my stuff here, their prices are usually decent and most of them include delivery. https://www.7dayshop.com/

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I have a couple that I use for my belt worn headphone amp with in ear monitors.  I’ve just been to check the make and, unfortunately, they’re Maplin own brand  :/
  • A quick google shows some 9V rechargeables could be as low as 7.2V when fully charged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    I've used these for a year or so in pedals I use at home, no problems at all. It's nice to be able to charge the battery directly via micro USB.

SOEKAVIA 9V Battery Rechargeable Lithium 400mAh, USB Charged, Overcharge Protection, with USB Cable /2Pcs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IN51Z3E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e8LmCbSE3PB95
  • They're thin on the ground. I always wondered why Eneloop doesn't make one, and can only believe that they must have a reason for not doing so. I bought a Uniross one for an onboard preamp/blender on my guitar, but it's crap to be honest. The drop off when it loses the charge is very sudden and it doesn't seem to hold the charge for long at all.

I think I'm going to make some sort of pack with one of those 6 x AAA battery packs and use the Eneloop AAA batteries which are very good. I'll make some sort of strap attachment and connect it to that. it might be a bit cumbersome at first, but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it quickly and it'll stay charged for much longer than the 9v battery types.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've tried charging batteries over the years, but it's just too much of a faff. I just keep a supply of duracell these days.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    A quick google shows some 9V rechargeables could be as low as 7.2V when fully charged.

This is a problem with rechargeables.  A lot of AA rechargeables are only 1.2V, so you would get a similar problem with a pack of 6.  Some pedals and preamps might be ok with a lower voltage, but there is a good chance it could affect headroom.
  • crunchman said:
    A quick google shows some 9V rechargeables could be as low as 7.2V when fully charged.

This is a problem with rechargeables.  A lot of AA rechargeables are only 1.2V, so you would get a similar problem with a pack of 6.  Some pedals and preamps might be ok with a lower voltage, but there is a good chance it could affect headroom.
    I don't know as much about the 9v ones, but with AAs a graph of voltage over time is pretty informative. Rechargables don't start with as much voltage as alkalines, but they stay at their maximum voltage for much longer. And according to my digital charger, my eneloops deliver 1.5v at full charge anyway.

I'm always curious about the cheap lithium rechargable 9v batteries on Amazon but I use such low drain pedals that it's not necessary. I have the Sanyo Pedaljuice and the Warwick Rockboard and they're great and not much extra faff.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2019
    the rechargeable PP3 9v is OK for OD pedals but useless on any modulation pedal. Could be down to as little as 10mins as with the Digitech Delay
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>