Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Application to join the Princeton club

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5114
Dear the fretboard,

Please consider this my application to join the Princeton Reverb club. 

Qualifications are:

- super lovely cleans
- super lovely reverb
- super lovely trem
- Small and Light
- No pedalboard required

Yours sincerely 

Terada  ;)

PS. @bazxkr can take some of the blame for tempting me over to fender amps.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I joined in the summer with a 68 custom and makes me smile evertime I put it on.  Welcome to the club! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A delay and an Overdrive and you’re away!! IME 65 if you use humbuckers, 68 if you use single coils. Fat. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    A delay and an Overdrive and you’re away!! IME 65 if you use humbuckers, 68 if you use single coils. Fat. 
    Indeed, although the 68 with a 12 inch speaker will cope with ‘buckers all day long.  :)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Oh yes, sorry forgot... welcome to the club!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    terada said:
    Dear the fretboard,

Please consider this my application to join the Princeton Reverb club. 

Qualifications are:

- super lovely cleans
    - super lovely reverb
    - super lovely trem
    - Small and Light
    - No pedalboard required

Yours sincerely 

Terada  ;)

PS. @bazxkr can take some of the blame for tempting me over to fender amps.

Is it only me that gets nervous when I see a Les Paul precariously balanced around hard surfaces? No pedalboard required, but you could do with a guitar lead..Looks super cool :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    A delay and an Overdrive and you’re away!! IME 65 if you use humbuckers, 68 if you use single coils. Fat. 
    Indeed, although the 68 with a 12 inch speaker will cope with ‘buckers all day long.  :)
    I thought that would exacerbate the problem - lots of midrange and lowend with my 68 - my Jaguar sounds best clean with it! Speaker definitely makes a big difference though...
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    munckee said:
    I joined in the summer with a 68 custom and makes me smile evertime I put it on.  Welcome to the club! 
    Thanks, I really can't believe how lovely these amps are, and also how good they sound at low volumes. A perfect clean home amp.
    Definitely, I compared the 68 and 65 before purchasing, and with my R9 the 65 was the clear winner. Both were superb though.

I set up a delay with it today and it was astonishing! Haven't done much with overdrives yet but I must admit I got it for  cleans so it isn't the highest priority - yet :)

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    Great snag @terada ; The LP looks superb with it. Don't know why but when you said you were going after a Fender after playing my supersonic I expected you to turn up with a Pink Paisley 65 deluxe reverb for some reason haha Glad you didn't...cos I want it LOL Apologies for giving you more GAS but glad you are delighted to have a Fender in your arsenal
  • Always kinda liked Princetons, but now getting a serious case of gas
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I’ve had mine since about 2010, well gigged but still looks brand new.  Great little amp.

Mines not been played since getting my MJW Tweed Deluxe a few months ago, but it deserves a rest for a while.  Looking forward to running them both together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    You're in !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    edited December 2018
    I had a 65RI for a while and whilst it sounded lovely there was a buzz when played with a bit of volume.  I think it was the baffle.  Is this common?
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 400
    pmg said:
    I had a 65RI for a while and whilst it sounded lovely there was a buzz when played with a bit of volume.  I think it was the baffle.  Is this common?
    Yes, very common. They claim to have fixed it after the early models, but I'm unconvinced. The best fix is to wedge a ruler between the baffle and the control plate. If this works, trim the ruler down (or use a fillet of wood) so that it's not visible when wedged in.
  • pmg said:
    I put a piece of cardboard in mine in 2010, been rattle free ever since.  About as easy a fix as you could get.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Yes I tried to reinforce the baffle but the buzz continued so I moved the amp on
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I keep looking to join the club but with three good amps already I'm struggling to justify it! Thats saying something. I have stopped watching the Jim Campalongo vids where he demos the new Reissue princeton becaus eit makes me GAS even worse.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 868
    This isn't going to help, but I watch the vids and wanted one for ages before I finally bought one....... best bit of gear I've bought in a very long time. Sorry!
  • I’ll join in too, my 65 PRRI is probably the best amp I have ever owned, as discussed in a previous thread I’m still very tempted to have it modded by Andy Dokken/RAT Amps. 
  • I'd love an old one if I could afford one, they sound ridiculously good.  It's always puzzled me why Randall Smith hated them and used them to create the first Mesas.  Must have been dirt cheap back then :)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Need to downsize and am offloading my Marshall Astoria and fully intend to pick up one of these bad boys to replace it. Stunning. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.