Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I hardly play guitar anymore

What's Hot
I moved to my new flat around May and never really got back into the routine playing very much since.

it comes and goes but I really feel no interest at all. 
Where as before I was pretty obsessed and suffered from GAS very badly.

I don't like this feeling. I'll end up selling my gear at this rate. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Learn a song you've always liked.

• fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Don't sell your gear. It will come back. Might take a while, but it will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    Happened to me in the early 90's.  I kept one guitar for bedroom noodling.  ten years later, was back into it full pelt.

I didn't have great gear to begin with, but I do now :)
  • Same here. I'm keeping guitars and amp, and a selection of my favourite effects, but the rest I'm probably going to sell.

Bit sad really, but no point if I don't use them... 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    When my kids came along I put my guitar and amp away for many years, then when I had more time I started again, and am now in a band. Just give it time!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    I sold them all. Haven’t had a guitar for about two years now. 

I always planned on buying something new at some point, but I’ve really not felt the need, so I haven’t.  

If you’re not feeling it why bother? Use the money for something else you do want to do. You can always take it up again in the future should you feel the urge.  

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    At least you've still got the choice, you can pick it back up any time you like.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Sassafras said:
    At least you've still got the choice, you can pick it back up any time you like.
    I would keep one at least. I could sell my les paul to free up some money. but I do love it. hmmm
  • CHRISB50 said:
    I sold them all. Haven’t had a guitar for about two years now. 

I always planned on buying something new at some point, but I’ve really not felt the need, so I haven’t.  

If you’re not feeling it why bother? Use the money for something else you do want to do. You can always take it up again in the future should you feel the urge.  
    You are on the wrong forum, cross stitch and lace making is next door :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• You don't want to play because you haven't played.

The more you play, the more new things you discover.
    The more new things you discover the more you will want to play. 

Play to inspire, don't wait for inspiration to play.

And GAS, that has nothing to do with playing......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It may be worth thinking about what made you start playing in the first place, and what is now different. It sounds like you don't really want to give up playing, and that you need motivating.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    Don't worry about it, if I'm not in a band I don't play. I once stopped for eight years, nobody particularly missed my contribution to the world of music. 

It's healthy to do other stuff once in a while. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    ive stopped and started over the years. cant bear the thought of being in a band. too much hassle for me. I do it because i enjoy playing the guitar. I need a hobby. It is not the be all and end all. my life comes first and my hobby second. Took me a while to accept this but i am 52 so .... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't play? Play until you CAN play!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2414
    The feeling will come to pass. It just a state of mind. Irrespective of how you feel now, keep a guitar and an amp and they'll be your friend when you get that itch again. Similar feelings have happened to me plenty of times.
  • vizviz Frets: 10710
    adamm82 said:
    I moved to my new flat around May and never really got back into the routine playing very much since.

it comes and goes but I really feel no interest at all. 
    Where as before I was pretty obsessed and suffered from GAS very badly.

I don't like this feeling. I'll end up selling my gear at this rate. 

Buy a new guitar and some pedals, that’ll cure it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited December 2018
    Sounds like you might just be a little burned out (from guitar, or other stuff) and having a bit of a breather. I'd wager you'll end up playing again in the not too distant future and won't really be able to pinpoint any reason that you stopped, or started again. It just happens!
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I've sold a few instruments this year as 1) I rarely ever played them and 2) I needed the money

Of all the guitars I play and really enjoy playing, it's never the gibsons, the fender (hell even the variax) - it's a 60s teisco thing that cost me £50. the main features of the guitar are:

1. It's anyones guess what the switches do, they supposedly turn each pickup on/off but if you turn them both off you can still hear some sound through the amp.

2. when you do flick a switch on you usually have to hit the guitar really hard to make the pickups work. All the electronics crackle like mad.

3. The neck bends at the slightest touch - why bend the strings when you can wiggle the neck about?

4. The nut is badly cut and clearly a bodged aftermarket. It usually falls out and bending strings means they jump slots in the nut (possibly why it was designed with a bendy neck as a fix)

In short I absolutely love it! It plays like shite but by thunder it's entertaining as hell to play!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    You can PLAY them?

I thought they were just expensive piece of wall art that you obsessively talk about with other drunkards in the wee hours.
  • Guitar playing took a back seat for a long period with me - after some very traumatic times I came close to selling up. Getting out of bed to earn a living was about as much as I was capable of for many years.

Over the last few years, life has got considerably better and I have the head space available to reapproach music. I still don’t play a tremendous amount - but when I do, it gives me joy again - which for a long time, it didn’t. I’ve never been a technician, particularly - but in many respects I think I’m playing better than I ever have - my expression via the instrument has improved enormously. I feel my playing has gained greater authority and depth.

I will be a guitar player until I’m gone - it’s really the only constant in my life....