My Long Delay Journey - Part 3

WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
edited April 2014 in FX

T Rex Replica
Undoubtedly, the best of the modern digital ‘analogue’ pedals. Gilmour of the Floyd famously used one of these to replace his DMM when it failed close to a live gig. And, once again, you can see why.
Glorious in its sound options, the Replica sounds every bit like a ‘true’ analogue pedal, and is closest to the DMM in many ways. The Replica is actually a touch darker than the DMM in my comparison.
Of the whole bunch, it remains on of the easiest to use, and that tap tempo is gloriously effective AND vital live, imho. Couple it with a ‘brighter’ delay, such as the DD2 or the excellent (and much missed) Providence Chrono, and I think that you’d have a combination that would take some beating...
It has a brown switch to darken the tones, and even a master volume like button on the side. 

It’s a pedal that it very accurate to dial in, very versatile and it some ways, the overall winner of this bunch. It’s less random than the DMM, more uniform, more considered but these are advantages and positives. Expensive new, but a very good second hand bargain.
Subdecay Anamesis
Some of these will HAVE to be sold, but right now, I don’t know which ones !
Enter the Subdecay. In some ways, this is the closest to DMM in feel and sounds. It has that randomness that manner delays miss, whilst others are just too over the top. It’s almost a mini DMM this pedal. Fantastic ambient tones. 
Very natural, organic tones - lovely modulation control, all in a very small package !

Caroline Kilobyte
I actually want to love this model ! I’ve owned two, sold one in a GAS attack, and then got this Limited Edition white model. Beautiful, sweet lo-fi tones in this pedal. Great to use, and it somehow preserves the original note very well indeed. A lovely, original delay and I do like this one. I like using it, seeing it, and I like the ethos behind these. The right hand ‘havoc’ momentary switch is surprisingly useful, and very effective and can be used ‘subtly’ if required.http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Caroline Kilobyte/Kilobyte2.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Mm... that kilobyte! Would love another... hint hint ;) 

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Great clip mate !

Well, some of these will HAVE to be sold I'm afraid... So, who knows...

I think it's one of only 20 made.

over to you guys... How do the new digital bunch (eg Timeline, Echolution etc) compare to your favourites ?
  • Hmmm. Long journey! I have been around the houses but not to the same extent. I have some delays with 3005s in them. Whilst they sound great, I struggle for the lack of headroom in them. I think i'm happy with the El Capistan, nails the Hank Marvin thing with my AC15ish amp.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    If you do shift the Amnesis I might be interested. 
    If you do shift the Amnesis I might be interested. 
    It's a great pedal. Mike Hermanns You Tube video captures it perfectly mate.

And, as I said previously, some of these will unfortunately have to be sold...

I'll know more after A/B them all this week.
    tFB Trader
    Big fan of both Subdecay and Mike Hermans.
  • I have enjoyed reading this. Good reviews! I got mine down to one, Providence Chrono although I am looking forward to trying the New T Rex.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Very informative, thanks for posting. I shall watch the classifieds with interest. My current favourite is the Malekko 616, mainly down to the musicality of it and its small footprint. I'm looking for something cleaner, with longer delay time and tap tempo to accompany it on the board
    Kelvin, another reminder ! I had the Malekko but it is indeed a very dark pedal IIRC...

for your needs the T Rex Replica can do analogue AND clean repeats.

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @Wazmeister thanks. I've always tried to avoid pedals other than 9v but have come VERY close to getting one, and a roommate and a reptile for that matter. Bloody GAS!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I've owned a DD2 but I *also* have owned a few Boss DSD2/DSD3 pedals - this uses the same chip with a slightly modified circuit but also has a (slightly gimmicky) sampler function. 

I actually prefer the delay sound of the DSD pedals - the repeat is slightly softer edged. I used to scoop them up for next to pennies on eBay as the 'digital' part of the name made folks think it sounded bad. Sadly/inevitably the tide has turned and the prices are on the up. 

I remember back in the day that we all jettisoned our "crappy" analogue delays to buy these new-fangled digital ones as they sounded more 'hi-fi' and the repeats were closer to the sound of the original note. Sadly, some digital delays were less than toneful...

Delay is my fave effect - so I've had *one or two* over the years. Some noteable ones to search out are:

TRex Reptile - very nice and a lot cheaper s/h than the Replica. No tap tempo but the Mod function is actually quite toneful.
    Pearl Delay - simply wonderful. I lost mine - can't remember who I lent it to and its long gone. Still looking for another.
    Danelectro PB&J (modified) - superb sounds on a tiny budget. I bought mine from this guy ( )

I totally agree about the DMM - I've owned several and the older ones are incredible. I really must stop dicking about and buy another.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Impmann,

A great post mate, with interesting thoughts....

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    impmann said:

I remember back in the day that we all jettisoned our "crappy" analogue delays to buy these new-fangled digital ones as they sounded more 'hi-fi' and the repeats were closer to the sound of the original note. Sadly, some digital delays were less than toneful...

Delay is my fave effect - so I've had *one or two* over the years. Some noteable ones to search out are:

TRex Reptile - very nice and a lot cheaper s/h than the Replica. No tap tempo but the Mod function is actually quite toneful.
    Pearl Delay - simply wonderful. I lost mine - can't remember who I lent it to and its long gone. Still looking for another.
    Danelectro PB&J (modified) - superb sounds on a tiny budget. I bought mine from this guy ( )

The Pearl AD08 is indeed a lovely delay. I had mine serviced by Owen Electronics a couple of years ago and it's still awesome. 

I'm moving back to the old crappy digital. Two rack units incoming... I'm bored shitless of high fidelity stuff. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Nice thread. That's a lot of delay experience you have Warren! My own journey went like this:

MXR Carbon Copy - nice and warm but I had three break on me and the repeats started to sound a bit like a dull thud after a while.

EHX DMM - thought I'd go the whole hog and get one, sounded lush and the brighter (but still lovely and organic) repeats were a revelation after the CC. BUT, zero headroom meant it was pretty unusable in the Fx loop I was using on my then Supersonic 22, disnt try it in line after a drive pedal (which how I use delay now). I actually think it got a lot worse sounding over the short time I had it, probably broken so took back and exchanged for......

TC Nova Repeater - lasted about a week, thought I wanted digital and lots of options but it sounded too digital for my tastes.

Diamond Memory Lane Jr - journey ended, have stuck with this for the best part of two years now, still love it, sounds ace and the modulation is crazy good and it's just so darn usable as a basic delay.

I'm interested in how the Ml Jr stacks up against some of the others you've had, not that I need any excuse to GAS for another delay. Interested to see the Replica up there, kind of had a great rep but has been overshadowed by boutique flavours of the month in the last few years.

tFB Trader
    dindude said:

EHX DMM - thought I'd go the whole hog and get one, sounded lush and the brighter (but still lovely and organic) repeats were a revelation after the CC. BUT, zero headroom meant it was pretty unusable in the Fx loop I was using on my then Supersonic 22, disnt try it in line after a drive pedal (which how I use delay now). I actually think it got a lot worse sounding over the short time I had it, probably broken so took back and exchanged for......
    Was it a modern DMM?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:

Was it a modern DMM?
    Yes indeedy, brand new unit