1959SLP - what to buy?

What's Hot
grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
All,

About the only thing missing from my gear today is one of the above. I'm not keen on vintage stuff as I'm not a believer in vintage mojo and all that.. I want something reliable etc..

What would you guys be looking at?

Si 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Depends on your budget.

The Marshall handwired one is very good - the Suhr SL68 has a built in variac type thing but is a mental price.

If money was no object I'd have the Suhr, it just sounds amazing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Marshall SLP reissue. Why bother with anything else?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Friedman SS. Great clean channel too....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Friedman SS. Great clean channel too....
    Clean channel? A 1959 is a non master volume amp, it doesn't have a clean channel. Both channels are clean until you turn them up. 

The Marshall reissue is very very good, just get one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Ceriatone.  
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The suhrs are very good, worth the extra in my opinion.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    If you want an SLP then get an SLP. It has its downsides (useablity) but sounds magnificent.

If you want something more user friendly but doesn’t sound the same then look at some of the alternatives mentioned above. I say this because a master volume version of a NMV amp just doesn’t sound the same to me.
  • Thanks for the posts all - going to check out the Suhr and SLP reissue.
    Forgot to say that if you want to overdrive it, you'll need an attenuator with the SLP. The Marshall Powerbrake actually works extremely well, and isn't too hard to find.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM have you directly compared the Powerbrake & Airbrake by any chance? I have the latter with my 69 SLP but wonder if I could do better. 
  • Thanks @ICBM - I’ve got a Palmer and Fryette PS2 so hopefully this should suffice.

Si
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    What about the Malmsteen head . That is a great 100W and it has power scaling that works. 
    You don't have to use the built in OD pedal 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    What about the Malmsteen head . That is a great 100W and it has power scaling that works. 
    You don't have to use the built in OD pedal 
    Oo good call.

That is an excellent amp.

Some ebayers do ask for silly money for them - but that's still cheaper than the Suhr.
    Thanks @ICBM - I’ve got a Palmer and Fryette PS2 so hopefully this should suffice.
    The PS-2 should be, at either 4 or 16 ohms - it's limited to 150W at 8 ohms, which isn't really enough for a SLP. The Palmer may not be enough either - these amps are really loud, with good valves they will put out around 130W clean and over 200W fully distorted.

@ICBM have you directly compared the Powerbrake & Airbrake by any chance? I have the latter with my 69 SLP but wonder if I could do better. 
    I would also be very careful with the Airbrake and a SLP if you're cranking it - I doubt it will handle the full power continuously either. The Powerbrake also sounds better with Marshalls in my opinion. (The Airbrake is better with no-NFB amps like Voxes.)