Putting a Pro Junior into a "head"

What's Hot
Hi folks. I'm not good with wood! Has anyone ever modded a Fender Pro Junior and put the guts of it into a head? Are there any builders who could do this at all?

Thanks

Barry
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    There's very little point because the layout of the chassis means that the head will be almost as tall as the combo. The combo isn't heavy so you may as well just use it as a head anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    There's very little point because the layout of the chassis means that the head will be almost as tall as the combo. The combo isn't heavy so you may as well just use it as a head anyway...
    I thought you couldn't use it as a head? (no speaker out in the pro junior)
    edited December 2018
    Creed_Clicks said:

I thought you couldn't use it as a head? (no speaker out in the pro junior)
    All the ones I've seen have one. Unless they've changed it... and even if so, it would be far easier and cheaper to just fit a speaker jack than to have a new box made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Note to me! Close the thread!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Would love one! I checked the specs on the Fender site and it doesn't say anything about a speaker out...
    edited December 2018
    Would love one! I checked the specs on the Fender site and it doesn't say anything about a speaker out...
    It's on the schematic, and I guarantee every Pro Junior I've ever seen has one. It's underneath the chassis next to the power cable.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I thought about it when I had one, but then realised that it was already a small head which happened to have a built-in backup speaker. 

They sound glorious through even a run of the mill cab like a 1936 with G12-75Ts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Would love one! I checked the specs on the Fender site and it doesn't say anything about a speaker out...
    It's on the schematic, and I guarantee every Pro Junior I've ever seen has one. It's underneath the chassis next to the power cable.

I've never had the chance yet to check one out close up...
  • Ok so I’ve owned my PJ for a good few years now and never knew of the speaker out. 

On the basis that mine has one (it’s a special edition grey tweed but it’s largely standard I think?) what would be a good choice of extension cab?

A nice 1x12 or 2x12 would be brilliant!
    How very rock and roll
  • I have a juketone 1x10 cab, and a soon to be ragin cajun speaker to be added. These seem to get good reviews when put into Fender Pro Juniors. If there's a speaker out on the PJ, then I could hook one up to my cab.
    I have a ss quilter head too. I'm all for small small small!
    Any 8-ohm, 15W or more, cab will be fine. There’s probably not a huge advantage in using another 1x10” though, unless it sounds very different or is a lot more efficient.

• I might just use the pro jr beside the ss amp head in stereo....
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Bung the Ragin Cajun in the Pro Jr and let’s hear no more about it. Seriously, they make a great match and sound considerably bigger than they look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited December 2018
    simonk said:
    Bung the Ragin Cajun in the Pro Jr and let’s hear no more about it. Seriously, they make a great match and sound considerably bigger than they look.
    This  - I've got a Ragin' Cajun in my Pro Junior, the tone is glorious (and surprisingly loud).
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited May 2019
    So here I am with a 1x10 cab with a ragin cajun speaker and still looking to stick some kind of head on top. I have a Quilter micro block for now, while I try and get all my gear over to Spain. I bought and sold a Pro Junior, which was lovely, noisey and heavy, so I'll pick up another one in time and possibly have a stereo rig then! \m/
    Thinking of an Orange OR15, or a Tiny Terror 15wa for the speaker cab for now, which will be far removed from a Pro Junior. Or a solid state head which would at least be a contrast running it in stereo with a pro junior down the line....

On a low gain note, are there good tubes that might fit a Laney Cub head for example that would tone down the gain?