School me in attenuators

What's Hot
I have a Fender Blues Deluxe and at the moment use one of the master volume modules (https://reverb.com/uk/item/9884039-fender-hot-rod-volume-module)  that plus into the effects loop but wondering if I'd be best with an attenuator?

I know they can cost hundreds but in the under £150 market what is good, what is to be avoided etc? Do I even need one if I have the master volume module?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited December 2018
    I dipped my toe into the attenuator world recently and very quickly withdrew. I used a Fryette Power Station that came highly recommended but it simply can't make the amp sound 'the same but at a lower volume', because of physics n' stuff..

All the great AC30 sparkle was gone and it was reduced to a very average sounding amp. My advice would be don't bother. Save up and buy a quieter amp. Just my two cents..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72498
    The volume-box solution works very well, but won’t give you the pushed power amp sound - if you want that, a true power attenuator is the only way. I would look for a used THD Hotplate (8 ohm model), they’re very good  with these amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the SPL Reducer like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom