Helix HX FX incoming......

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
Helix HX FX incoming to a technophobe, should bounce onto the doormat sometime between 14:00 and 15:00 wish me luck!
This will be a steep, possibly vertical learning curve......
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57 said:
    Helix HX FX incoming to a technophobe, should bounce onto the doormat sometime between 14:00 and 15:00 wish me luck!

It it's arriving between 14:00 and 15:00, should we expect a classifieds listing between 16:00 and 17:00 (allowing for an hour of head scratching) :-)

They're actually fairly easy to get your head round, even I managed it for a while, so enjoy bud, the sounds are very good on most things

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My advice would be to download the (free) HX edit, and watch the Paul Sadites YT vids.

Easy enough to get into though, and a superb device
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28177
    Also don't bother with the presets.

Just put together something basic yourself straight off.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    preston61 said:
    paulnb57 said:

It it's arriving between 14:00 and 15:00, should we expect a classifieds listing between 16:00 and 17:00 (allowing for an hour of head scratching) :-)

They're actually fairly easy to get your head round, even I managed it for a while, so enjoy bud, the sounds are very good on most things

Lol for that!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    preston61 said:
    paulnb57 said:

Lol for that!

For sale yet? ;-)

Hope you're enjoying it

• Sporky said:

I haven't got one but the basic advice seems to be to roughly replicate your existing board so it's as familiar as possible then explore from there? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    My advice would be to download the (free) HX edit, and watch the Paul Sadites YT vids.

You may have more success with Jason Sadites... ;) Although I’m not sure he’s done much for the HXFX.

My advice would be to recreate your most recent incarnation of your regular pedalboard bit by bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

I haven't got one but the basic advice seems to be to roughly replicate your existing board so it's as familiar as possible then explore from there? 
    That approach certainly worked for me.

Or (assuming you're using it with an amp) try a few of the basic drives in turn, have a run through the reverbs and delays, all that sort of thing. It does an awful lot of stuff!
    Some Sage advice here Jason doesnt appear to do amything for the FX...
    Not for sale yet!
    Had a quick run through the presets, which as I expected are all a bit over the top, but shows huge potential....
    Have had to stop and find a tutorial as I couldn't even work out how to bypass it to just the amp, or how to create a patch, or set a unity level, so now will rewatch all the YouTube vids again to refresh my memory as I've got a bit overwhelmed.....
    Later I'll try amd create something simple, then build on it...shame I don't have a board for reference to copy!!
    Hey-ho, onward and upward, how difficult can it be?

One thing I really like on the Helix that's hard to do with most stuff is a dual tremolo.

Put in two tremolo blocks, both tap tempo, but one at half the speed of the other and lower depth.

This gives a lovely wub-WUB-wub-WUB effect that works at any speed you like.
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    edited December 2018
    It's pretty easy. Don't be put off. I use it with my orange amp. We record live and the sound is much better than my board was.  I really like it. I wish it had a few things but can't win then all. If they could get the pitch shift stuff sorted out. And if they could add a fuzz face that actually sounded like a fuzz face I wouldn't never need other pedals. I also wish it had a headphones input

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

I managed to create a preset! Comp-Chorus-Delay-Reverb AND ...managed to rename and save it!
    Small steps..
    I wish I could block delete all the factory presets....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    paulnb57 said:

Just copy a bunch of empty presets and paste them over whatever you want rid of. I’d do a full back up first though... you know, just in case.
    edited December 2018
    simonk said:
    paulnb57 said:

Just copy a bunch of empty presets and paste them over whatever you want rid of. I’d do a full back up first though... you know, just in case.
    Good plan! I love this place, full of grown ups capable of advising technophobes!

To be fair though in a few minutes Ive pretty much got the hang of the basics, its now just a matter of getting more adventurous

• paulnb57 said:
    I managed to create a preset! Comp-Chorus-Delay-Reverb AND ...managed to rename and save it!
    Small steps..
    No need, surely - everything should default to the last set you were using, so presumably USER 1?
    <space for hire>
    paulnb57 said:
    Small steps..
    No need, surely - everything should default to the last set you were using, so presumably USER 1?
    You are quite right Lee, I'm a luddite thnking out loud, due to inexperience.....

• simonk said:
    My advice would be to download the (free) HX edit, and watch the Paul Sadites YT vids.

You may have more success with Jason Sadites... ;) Although I’m not sure he’s done much for the HXFX.

My advice would be to recreate your most recent incarnation of your regular pedalboard bit by bit.
    Good spot !!

It really is easy to use if you start with a blank preset too... remember, all of the Helix vids are largely applicable to all models. Maybe watch the Helix Floor/LT vids too, to give you an insight.

For example,