What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    And this - at 8:50+

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds shite? 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql;218129" said:
    ACacofonix said:

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds shite? 
    That's how mine sounds. Like ass!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    jonnyburgo;217783" said:
    May be worth changing the preamp valves to something less gainy, I've had a few blackstars and found they are much too heavy too quickly on the OD side. 

ICBM told me to do that but I never did, i think he recommended 12at7's? could be wrong though, check first.
    @ICBM can you shed any light on this at all?

Any help much appreciated before I move it on.
    It's not 'recommended', but seems to be safe.

Stick to just changing the one closest to the input, since that's the one which will have most effect - and is the same as the one in the pedals and the HT-5 which I have the schematic for. I don't have any info as to whether changing the other one is safe, so best don't!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for all your help guys but i'm going to wash my hands of it and mover it on.

If the amp sounds that harsh out of the box then no amount of valve changing is going to smooth it out enough. Just the way they've designed it to be i guess.

Very surprised though at the ht-5 i had was very smooth and sounded lovely. This on the other hand is awful.

Thanks again everyone!

• That demo does sound pretty nasty.  My HT20 was never what I would describe as "harsh", but I never use much gain and had a 12AY7 in the drive channel preamp (there is only one preamp valve per channel in the HTs, apart from the HT-100 which I believe has a phase inverter valve as well).  It's a really dark sounding amp in my experience, not harsh or fizzy when playing lower gain.  The HT-5 is quite different sounding to the bigger HT amps.

If you don't like it you don't like it though!  Sounds like you got it cheap enough not to lose anything by passing it on :)

• That demo does sound pretty nasty.  My HT20 was never what I would describe as "harsh", but I never use much gain and had a 12AY7 in the drive channel preamp (there is only one preamp valve per channel in the HTs, apart from the HT-100 which I believe has a phase inverter valve as well).  It's a really dark sounding amp in my experience, not harsh or fizzy when playing lower gain.  The HT-5 is quite different sounding to the bigger HT amps.

If you don't like it you don't like it though!  Sounds like you got it cheap enough not to lose anything by passing it on :)

Yes its in showroom condition so i will make my money back easily. Already have interest so all good.

I would have been annoyed had i paid big bucks for it!
  • And sold! :D

Local fella came round and loved the tone and bit me hand off for it.

Funny how we all perceive tone in different ways.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Too late now, but out of curiosity which speaker did it have? I forgot to ask earlier.

I can't listen to the demo just now, but if it was the Neodymium one it wouldn't surprise me if it sounded bad. I don't like them at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Was a seventy 80. I ran it through my closed back 2x12 with v30 and still sounded horrible.

Did soften a little when cranked but way to harsh for me. Back to the drawing board.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I find the BS sound very harsh and sterile, it's a bit like being hit by a blunt copper knife. I even found that with the series ones, for the asking price there's plenty of amps you can have that give you more character and impact less on your guitars core tone.
  • I quite like the sound, it's nice for heavy rock and metal. You can get some quite brutal tones boosting it with a tubescreamer, and an eq pedal in the loop is supposed to help a lot. I didn't need one, I quite liked the dark voicing.

Just not as aggressive as a 6505, but I've not tried the ht metal yet, which could be more 'me'.
  • Anyway, good luck tone hunting mate!
  • ThePrettyDamned;219783" said:
    Anyway, good luck tone hunting mate!
    Cheers mate. Could be looking at a H&K statesman next. Hoping the Od is a bit smoother.